Dexta front and rear lights wanted

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta front and rear lights wanted

Post by brianjbox »

Hi all

Firstly if this is in the wrong place sorry and could it be moved please, I did look for a sale and wanted section but could only find swaps and I have nothing to swap :(

I am after some original front [headlights] and rear lights for my 61 dexta, I am almost at the 'given up' stage and considering buying new repro's and distressing but thought I'd ask on here first.

If I have to buy new are there ones to avoid? even on ebay rear lights [from dealers] range from £40-£70 yet looking at the pictures I can see no difference :? I also don't like the repro headlights that stick out too far like the ones currently on my tractor

Many thanks for reading and if I'm lucky, pointing in the right direction.

Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Dexta front and rear lights wanted

Post by Bensdexta »

The 'sticking out' headlighs are because folk fit side mounted lights in the grills. The grill mounted lights are thinner - for super D/Super Major. Repros are available. Original Butler lights do come up on ebay occasionally, but not cheap; I paid nearly £100 for mine from a chap in Northern Ireland.

Yewtree tractors are selling FoMoCo LH rear lights at the mo. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brianjbox »

Hi and many thanks for the reply.

You've pretty much covered all the places I've been looking at for some time now, yep ebay ones making up to and around £100 and I've missed a couple of sets now :(

I have also seen the FoMoCo ones but as you've said, only one side and no lenses or anything.

Who makes the best repro lights, anyone know bought and fitted them, any pic's?

Thanks in advance

Brian

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

Hi Brian the lights will be the same no matter where you by them but the bulb holders and wiring are rubbish .I put new headlamps on my super major and was lucky to find original bulb holders on a super major in a breakers yard and used these which worked well .The same applies to the rear lights also. Liam.

brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brianjbox »

Hi Liam

Many thanks for replying :D

I was into classis VW's for 15 years [split screen campers] and parts were readily available and really cheap, really cheaply made, didn't fit right, thin gauge steel, chrome lasted only weeks etc. Is this what pattern parts for classic tractors are going to be like? lots of them say their parts are made in the UK so I was hoping perhaps a little better quality.

Think I'll have to up my bids when the next set come up for sale on fleabay :wink:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

One of the problems you have got with parts for tractors is wherever you get them they are made/supplied by one company. Most do not live up to the Quality advertised. The Dexta nose cones and other metal work is a case in point. I have run into problems with Dexta ignition/light switches and have fitted 5 from different suppliers, none have lasted more than a few months. I also bought oil pressure and amp gauges for my Major. The oil pressure gauge had the fixing lugs on the wrong angles and the connection to the pipe was incorrectly threaded. All the parts mentioned above were supplied by one company in Ireland to the vendors.

Had this only been on parts I had bought I would have said I was unlucky but from reading posts on this forum and meeting people face to face at shows it seems I am not alone.

I can recommend three suppliers from personal experience. They may not always supply perfect parts but they are willing to sort out problems and send messages back to their suppliers.

Malcolm Hipperson, Downham Market, Norfolk. Malcolm is one of the most honest and straight forward suppliers I have ever come across. He also has some stock of second hand parts.

Dunlop Tractor Spares, Ireland. Another honest and straight forward company. Their catalogue takes a bit of working out though.

Railswood Tractors, Walsall, West Midlands, England. Is associated with Blue Force. I have heard very good reports from my trade friends who use them.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brianjbox »

Funny, I also need an ignition/light switch as well :lol:

Thanks for taking the time out to reply and your recommendations, I'm new to working on/owning a classic tractor so any help is appreciated.

Looks like the hardest bit of restoring these is getting decent replacement parts for them, thought I'd have it done for some summer fun on our local tractor runs but think I'll still be looking for parts :(

Cheers

Brian

brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brianjbox »

Just won these on ebay but ad said they were for a Fordson International?

They looked similar to the 'through the grills' dexta lights I've seen so hoping I can make them fit.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

They should fit OK and tidy up fine. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brianjbox »

Bensdexta wrote:They should fit OK and tidy up fine. :wink:

brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brianjbox »

Just found a pic I had of the rear of 'through the grill' Dexta head lights

these ones were listed as original Dexta lights and they do look similar if not identical to the ones I purchased' [other than colour?]

maesglas55
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by maesglas55 »

Hello,
I have a set of brand new original lights sitting in the cupboard for a pre force 2000 i know they are 100 percent the same as the dexta , I was going to enter them in the Malvern tractor world auction but if you were willing to make a decent offer i rather they went to another enthusiast. They have got original Butlers lenses and rubbers and the lucas reflector if you want photos i will have toget one of the kids to take them and send them to you.
cheers,
David Rees.

brianjbox
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brianjbox »

maesglas55 wrote:Hello,
I have a set of brand new original lights sitting in the cupboard for a pre force 2000 i know they are 100 percent the same as the dexta , I was going to enter them in the Malvern tractor world auction but if you were willing to make a decent offer i rather they went to another enthusiast. They have got original Butlers lenses and rubbers and the lucas reflector if you want photos i will have toget one of the kids to take them and send them to you.
cheers,
David Rees.

Hi David

I'll PM you my email address for a pic or two if possible.

Many thanks

Brian