Project so far

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
agroman
True Blue

Project so far

Post by agroman »

Thought I would share a few pictures of the build so far. Still waiting for engine from machine shop - getting frustrated got fertiliser to spread soon!

1958 Dexta with loader crying out for TLC. Now getting some

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Project so far

Post by Bensdexta »

Looks good :wink:
Where are you?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Near Truro in Cornwall
Converting it to the worlds 1st pasty powered Dexta! That's why the engine is taking so long.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

agroman wrote: Still waiting for engine from machine shop - getting frustrated got fertiliser to spread soon!
How do you cope with the 600kg fert bags? We can't get small bags around here in Wales any longer. :cry:

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

I get a local farmer to buy them so that we loose some VAT! I collect them on a flat bed trailer behind a Discovery. At home the Dexta will lift them off the trailer just! Need to load them just off centre on the trailer and use rear weight. I can park trailer just off a concrete yard so its a bit lower, this helps. Then its all level and on concrete to get bags in the barn. I spread the fert with an old Teagle spreader. Its got a narrow galvanised metal hopper. That could be another restoration projection on it's own! I just bucket the fert from the bag to the hopper by hand.

But then we only have 11 acres used by grass wasters! Just low enough to have lost my single farm payment now it has changed to the Basic Payment Scheme. That used to more than pay for the fertiliser!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

You lift 600kg with your front loader? That's pushing it!
What counterweight do you put on the rear linkage arms?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Basic (Farm) Payment Scheme

Post by Bensdexta »

You'll have to buy or rent another 1.5acres, to make up to 5 Hectares!

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Got a large concrete block weight, not sure how heavy it is. Its got hooks cast into the top of the block which hook onto the linkage arm stabiliser. It could do with a top link attachment to stop it rocking. That's another project for a rainy day!

Just need to get more land, then I can get another tractor!

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Finally got engine back last Thursday. Got it painted and bolted back onto gearbox at the weekend. Have got her fired up. Found a few problems with some fluid leaks, sorted most of these now.
Problem 1 was blowing the hydraulic pump flange seal out. So had to drain back end and take pump off, only to find I had forgotten to put O ring on the flange - doh! Had to take the top off to refit the pick up filter.

Problem 2 hydraulic lift not lowering low enough. So top off again and readjusted position control rod. Had to do this 3 times to get it right. Keeps you fit lifting the cover on and off! I have removed the shims from the pressure relief valve initially. Once I am happy with everything I will get oil hot and put a pressure gauge on it and add shims accordingly.

Problem 3 clutch started making some bad wining noises when depressing pedal slightly. Initially thought it must be the new release bearing seized. So stripped it all down again and split the tractor. 1.5hrs to split now! Only to find the one of the bolts holding the arms on the clutch had come out! This was a Sparex clutch and supposed to be all built up and bolt on job. I admit I hadn't checked the tightness of these bolts. All the others were loose as well! I refitted them with threadlock and tightened them up well. Unfortunately it has caused some ware on the release bearing spigot / shaft due to uneven pressure on the bearing. Hopefully this wont cause a problem, time will tell. So 2 hours later fitted back together and started.

Problem 4 Combustion caps not sealing. I have ordered some copper seal and will try this, if this doesn't work I will get the caps machined to ensure they are perfectly flat.

Now just have to get it hot and re- torque head bolts and adjust tappets. The steering is a bit tight, but hopefully this will improve with use. I am still waiting for new nose cone - next week hopefully and lights. Also need to refit loader.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

No efforts spared! Congratulations!
Look forward to further news :wink:

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

She's back in work now! Got loader fitted with new ram seals as the pump valve is now set to blow off at 2300psi. When I checked it before restoration it was about1500psi. So I wasn't sure the old seals would stick the increased pressure. Anyway she lifted the 600kg fert bags with ease. Only problem is a lack of steering with this on the front! Also got my old Teagle fert spinner on last night and did a couple of fields. Getting a better spread now I can get the spreader higher on the linkage.
Only jobs left now are the front nose cone and lights. I am hoping they will be here soon and that they fit? I need to make up some brackets to weld to front axle carrier to bolt the headlights to.

Next project could be a mates power major. It needs some engine surgery after a (ex)friend he lent it to ran it on some fuel contaminated with petrol. She will now barely start of run so suspect ring / liner damage. We need to get her running by June as she is our Baling tractor.

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Just to add that the high temp copper seal appears to have sealed the combustion caps well. I put a thick head around the circle on the inside of the cap to replicate the original ring seals. I bolted it up and left it to cure for a couple of days before firing up the engine.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Did you re-torque the head bolts?

If so, did they move much?

You've been busy! :wink:

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Yes I did re-torque head nuts. Got her hot 1st. Got about quarter to half a turn on each of them before torque wrench clicked. Also reset tappet clearances which are a bit of a fiddle to get correct.
With some dry weather this week done a bit of chain harrowing and rolling. Harrowing in 5th gear (high 2nd) add a bit of slope and some thicker old grass and she is starting to chuff some blacker smoke and work a bit, which is what she needs to loosen her up and make sure the bores don't glaze up. Just need to find something to give her some sustained hard work!

agroman
True Blue

Post by agroman »

Just about finished now! Getting documents together to apply for an age related plate from DVLC. Looking at the casting codes it is a Oct 59 baby, funny I thought it was a 58!

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

I am glad that here in the USA no no tag, license plate of any kind required on farm tractors,

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Agroman, Very smart. :D

What nose cone is that? Looks like the later version with Super Dexta side cheeks. :wink:

_JOHN_
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by _JOHN_ »

You've done a cracking job there

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

agroman wrote:Yes I did re-torque head nuts. Got her hot 1st. Got about quarter to half a turn on each of them before torque wrench clicked.
To do the job as per the manual, the rocker and the injectors need to be removed. Then a torque spanner wirh a very deep 11/16" socket can be got on all 15 nuts. Not having a deep socket, the best I could achieve on the injector bolts was to use a flat spanner - not ideal.