Hello all

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
basewindow
True Blue

Hello all

Post by basewindow »

Hi, I finally got around to my first post.
I have bought what was sold to me as a Super Dexta, but I’m yet to confirm it, so I’ll post some number and hope fully someone here will set me straight.
I’ve given it a good clean, but it’s got a few issues which you can only expect from something this old I guess.
There was a lot of freeplay in the steering, about 180 degrees, so after a bit of reading I removed the right side steering box cover and removed some of the shims. There were only 3, two of the thicker kind and one smaller. Do I want to mention the orange coloured sludge that came out of the steering box? Well I put it back together and it has eliminated some of the freeplay, probably down to 90-100 degrees now. I tried to remove the top steering nut, but unfortunately the last owners attempt to clean it up a bit with a coat of paint has sealed it well and truly on, along with years of rust and oxidation. Any hints anyone.
The steering end ball joints are pretty stuffed but I have new ones for the front and rear which I haven’t fitted as yet. It might help things.
As I said the previous owner gave it a paint to try and spruce it up a bit, but unfortunately, every moving part is now painted on solid. I’m slowly working through each and every bit with lubricant, but the years of rust and oxidation and a coat of paint are making it slow and painful going.
The hydraulics have an issue. They went up when I put the quadrant in the up position, but now they wont come down. I’m not sure what some of the levers do (I have the manual) so that probably doesn’t help. I checked the oil level in the rear by opening the filler and couldn’t see any at all. It did look nice and clean in there though. I’ve added about 8lt, but still no change with the hydraulics. Does that flow control knob twist of pull out? Mine does neiother its stuck fast.
I guess it’s missing a few parts as well. The nose cone and bonnet are fiberglass. I have the original bonnet but it doesn’t seem to fit with the fiberglass nosecone. Just looking at others pictures it looks like there are a few bits missing which would support this.
The instrument panel near the throttle is missing. The meter in the middle below is present but rusted and I’m not sure it’s connected.
On the plus side it starts first time, every time. All gears work and the clutch seems ok. I had the rear wheels off and checked the brakes. Look in great condition and work well. Need some rear tyres and the front some time soon as well. The engine is now relatively clean, but it looks like the temp gauge cable is missing and the electric wiring is a mess. It has no head or tail lights.

957E 7005 T4

GKN13721G

903977?

P4588

957E 7505C?

I would like to post some pictures but I have no photobucket account. Is there another way?

Regards Cam
62 Super Dexta.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Hello all

Post by Bensdexta »

Welcome aboard!

Is that last no. you quote on the engine? If so it starts 16... which is a Super D engine, but there should be another digit, 7 in all.

Most of the nos you quote don't appear to be date codes. Have a look in the general section of the main website which will tell you where to find Dexta serial nos & casting codes. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Yeah checked that number.

It's on the engine just under the manifold on the left side 1618027.

I should have put down where all those numbers were.

957E7505c T1 oin the left side engine block near the steering arms.

903?77 Very hard to see and faintly stamped or etched vertically on the left side clutch/gear box meet?

P4588 appears to be on the injectors

GKN13721G left side engine block.

Finally got that flow control valve screwing out and in. It comes out about 2cm and gives movement of about 45 degrees when out from the 'F' marking.

Checked the oil through the filler over the top of the rear diff. Couldn't see any oil in there and added about 8 litres. I guess I need another 8 or so litres?

Checked the oil in the gear box through the filler near the gear sticks. It was about 1/3 full and a milky white. I guess that isn't the right colour. Water contamination? How much should be in there?

Still no movement in the hyraulics when I shift the lever in the quadrant.
62 Super Dexta.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

All the numbers you quote are casting part numbers and will be the same on all Dextas apart from the engine number. Go to the Wiki on this site and you will find an article on identifying your Dexta which has pictures of all the numbers you want and their locations. Post those and you should get your answers.

Your hydraulic problem could be stuck unload valve or control valve. These are only accessible after you have taken the lift off.

You oil levels are:

Gear box .. square headed plug near brake pedals on side of gearbox.
Rear axle .. square headed plug near clutch piviot and PTO selector.

If it is not square headed, it is not the one you want on a Dexta.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/wiki/ ... Dexta.html

Codes to enter Wiki: "fordsontractorpages" and password "dotty"
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Yep got the square head, will have a look tomorrow. I guess if oil comes out it's full?

Numbers are starting to make sense B29J = 29/2/63?

When you say 'lift' removed, you mean the whole rear section over the top of the rear axle/seat?

Cheers.
62 Super Dexta.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, they are level plugs.

You have got the date right. :thumbs:

If you have to take it off then check this position control pin, they wear and will affect the operatuion of the lift.

Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Looks like your tractor has its original engine, dating around late '62 - early '63.

Check out the engine cast code on LHS, see sticky top of Dexta sub forum. :wink:

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Checked the oil levels via the plugs.

Gear box level is ok but the oil is white.

Rear axle needs more, nothing close to the level.

I'll pull the top of next fortnight and check out that pin. (Back to the day job unfortunately)

Half way through replacing the steering arms and tire rod ends (Ahh love seized nuts and bolts...)

Thanks for the pics they help a lot.

Is there any other way to post pics apart from photo hosting site?
62 Super Dexta.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

basewindow wrote:Is there any other way to post pics apart from a photo hosting site?
No.

Just sign up to photobucket and upload your pics. Then you can link to them here. :wink:

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Just a check to see how pictures post.
62 Super Dexta.

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Quick question in relation to taking the hydraulic cover off as per your pictures.

I've removed all the bolts and cracked the seal, but when I try to lift the cover off something sticks after I get the it about an inch up. There's a clucking sound like something is still connected under there.

Am I missing something?
62 Super Dexta.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Make sure the lift arms are fully down as the rocker can hit the back of the axle housing. Tilt the lift down at the front and lift the back out first, it will not just lift straight up.
Brian

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Ah thats my problem. My lift is stuck in the 'up' position.

Any tips.
62 Super Dexta.

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

62 Super Dexta.

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

62 Super Dexta.

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Just a thought, the 3 blue arrowed bolts already look loose, If you also loosen the yellow one the piston will become detatched and may cause the lift cover to jam, along with other repercussions.
Last edited by alang on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

I originally took the blue ones out, but as they didnt seem to help i put them back.

Lucky i didnt undo the yellow.

Any ideas on how to lower the arms or get the lift cover out with the arms up?
62 Super Dexta.

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

The way Brian described earlier...
"...Tilt the lift down at the front and lift the back out first..."

Are you able to remove the pump plate to see what's catching?

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Im not sure, but as the arms are in the up position it might be the rocker at the back.
Ill have another look today.
Excuse my stupidity but...
What and where is the pump plate?
62 Super Dexta.

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

On the side of the hydraulic casing behind the right hand side footplate (I'm assuming you're going to service the pump anyway).
See section 8 page 29 http://www.fordson.se/6_8_Dexta_verksta ... 01-198.pdf
I'm guessing that you can see in with the help of a mirror and a light.

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Okay I've had a good look and its the rocker at the back, obviously because the arms or lift are stuck in the 'up' position. How am I going to get the arms down to get the cover off?
62 Super Dexta.

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

If I put everything back together and put a heavy weight on the rear, do you think that will force the arms down or will I do some damage?
62 Super Dexta.