Injector Pump

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
oldcharlie
True Blue

Injector Pump

Post by oldcharlie »

I have a 1963 Super Dextra my friend and myself ,mostly my friend he is a pretty good little mechanic, rebuilt the engine on it. I bought the shop manual something I should have done ten years ago and found that the injector pump had an oil sump and was supposed to be changed regularly. Well this one had a little sludge in it. I had been running it ten or twelve years! i filled it with oil and on checking it ,it seemed at first to be OK. But later on I checked it and it was and is full of diesel fuel.
I am guessing I am in for a rebuild and that is expensive. Anyone had this problem? And what was the fix? The thing runs great , but for how long n this condition I don't know.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Injector Pump

Post by Brian »

That is perfectly normal, diesel is allowed to bleed through into the governor housing. The instruction book will tell you to check the level at the plug every 50 hours and let the excess oil/diesel drain out. You should also have a "pigtail" pipe on the cam box breather that allows oil to escape if you do not check the levels.

Some pumps build up oil/diesel quickly others not so fast.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oldcharlie
True Blue

Re: Injector Pump

Post by oldcharlie »

Thanks Brian, I feel much better about the pump. Next is my cranky hydraulics but I will start a new thread on that later when I have my thoughts on it together. This is a great forum, I come here everyday and have learned a great deal! :clap: