Brown's ROPS frame

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
alang
True Blue

Brown's ROPS frame

Post by alang »

Perhaps things have changed, Health & Safety wise, but I believe that if someone other than the owner drives a tractor it needs a Roll Bar fitted.
Anyway with that in mind I bought a Brown's frame that popped-up locally. It says it's for a Fordson Major, Ford 2000, 3000, 4000 but I measured up and it seemed it would fit the Dexta.
The problem is the base units, now bolted in place, splay out, as they follow the contour of the axel. Thus at the top they are much too far apart for the top section to slot into, as the picture illustrates.
Has anyone had the same problem? I'm guessing a wedge shaped shim would correct the problem but that would probably cost a lot to have machined.
If the best solution is a purpose made Dexta roll bar, I will be appearing in the Swop forum soon.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: Brown's ROPS frame

Post by Jerry Coles »

Loosen the axle bolts sufficient for the frame tubes to be loose, fit the top piece in and secure it then tighten the axle bolts. You may end up bending the base plates but it should work 'cept you wont be able to slide out the top piece. Or find a blacksmith with a forge and heat up the plates to bend them or get a welder to cut a thin v slot across the pipe and bend it and then weld it back up.
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

One of the problems with our older tractors and the frame legislation is we tend to ignore it! Just a few pointers:

1. Any tractor used in agriculture or horticulture or even used in livery must be equiped with a safety frame WHOEVER is driving. If the frame has been removed to negotiate low buildings, before any implement is attached other than, say, a loader for use in said buildings, the frame must be replaced.

2. If you own the tractor and do not have a frame, in the case of an accident with you driving, you are treated as an employee and an employer rather than just one of the above and any penalty is doubled.

3. If you have a frame fitted to your tractor it must be specified for that tractor, you cannot modify any frame to fit and remain within the regulations. Any modifications on the frame would mean it requires re-testing and re-certifying.

4. Any modifications to a frame and you are responsible for the results of any accident where the frame fails.

5.A damaged frame has to be replaced and cannot be repaired, straightened or welded.

Our old tractors are not classed as working tractors and are purely for show, that is how we get away with not having a frame. Initially ALL tractors were going to require a frame but that was typical overkill and as there were no frames available for Model "N"s and the like the rules were negotiated to allow these to be exempt for display purposes.

I have all the Regulations on the subject as I used to teach Health and Safety for farmers with the HSE and my late brother-in-law was a senior inspector.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Thanks for the heads-up Brian.
I've fitted a full size spacer from a TE-20 Rollbar and now the spacing is correct. Basically the bracket was bridging on the axle casting and splaying out - the spacer has lifted it clear allowing it to level out.