Decision Time

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
montanamax
Not Quite Blue Yet

Decision Time

Post by montanamax »

I bought my Super Dexta a year ago and had been told that it would just require a bit of work to get running. It was not running at the time - stupid me. After freeing a stuck engine, I found some pitting in the cylinders and virtually no compression. It wouldn't start with starting fluid. So now I have to decide if it is worth putting more money into it (I'm into it for about $1500 - $1000 for tractor - new radiator and hoses, rebuilt injectors, battery). My concern is that I don't know what shape the gear box is in other than that I can appear to shift it. I don't know what shape the hydraulics are in. My fear is I'll get the engine working after a rebuild and then discover new problems.

So my question is, are there any tests I could do to see about the other systems before I proceed? I thought about putting it up on jacks and then running the starter (which works) briefly to see if wheels will at least turn. It can be towed in neutral. Anything to test the hydraulic pump? The injector pump seems to be spitting out fuel in rotation. I'm likely to go ahead but knowing what I'm in for would be helpful.

Thanks.

Walt

alang
True Blue

Re: Decision Time

Post by alang »

:idea: Well I got some good Hydraulic advice a few topics ago (http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=6391). If you read that topic you'll see how you can tell if the pump's pumping under pressure.

montanamax
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Decision Time

Post by montanamax »

Thanks. I'll have to study this a bit but this looks promising for checking out the pump.