This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
tvotreviow
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by tvotreviow »

hi everyone.just joined this forum.i,m on the isle of wight and spent a lifetime mucking about with old tractors,both employed to drive them and my own.first one i ever drove was a 3 y.o np super major,yea,it was a long time ago!had various tractors of my own including a dexta and a diesel major some 35 years ago.my present machine ,which i have had for the last 14 years is a little grey tvo thing which has served me well within it's limitations.i use it now mainly for running a sawbench and ploughing matches.so i why have i joined this forum ? i here you saying,well of all the diffent makes and models i have had the one i consider the best is the dexta and i am actively looking to repace the grey with one.the one i had years ago was a 1959 one without the handbrake ,i did put new big end shells in it but thats about all,i made a good living with that one but never had anything to do with the later versions.so what i am asking is what is the best version to get and why?i have had a3 cyl 35 and spent thousands of hours driving a 135 but always found i prefered the dexta,cant exactly say why considering the engines are basically the same,i am familar with the dexta's weaknesses,the gearstick thing and the rather frail steering box but i can live with that.although my grey one does the sawbench fine it is the lack of low speed gears that is the real problem for ploughing and i always liked the dexta,s hydraulic system esp for ploughing,never been impressed by the mf's two lever system.any opinions gratefuly received,trev

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: new member

Post by oehrick »

Welcome aboard trev and good luck upgrading to a Dexta, there are others here who have a grey menace in their fleet and may be able to help with direct comparisons, its a model I'm not familiar with in any detail.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes