Not Charging

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
niallsdexta
True Blue

Not Charging

Post by niallsdexta »

Hi All,

My super will not start without assistance, i have put a multimeter across the terminals of the dynamo and it is not given a reading, when I put the meter across the battery I get 12.46volts.

What can I check for, or how do I check the dynamo further, what else could stop her form charging?

Thnaks,
Niall
I don’t know what I am doing!

anthonygos
True Blue

Re: Not Charging

Post by anthonygos »

bad coil, brush's, wiring, regulator, or if its been left for long time may just need flashing.
Don't just leave it in the shed, Fordson's are made to work, so take it out and work it....!

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

Thanks for the reply,

Not sure about wiring as it was working for several years, just seems to have stopped charging recently, I think I will have to remove it form the tractor and leave it in the shop where the magicman can do his magic to it and hopefully that will be that.

Is there anyway to check if it is the regulator that is at fault before I do this?
I don’t know what I am doing!

anthonygos
True Blue

Post by anthonygos »

GENERATOR TEST PROCEDURE. Disconnect leads marked "D" and "F" from voltage regulator terminals and connect these leads together. Connect negative lead of volt-meter, which is calibrated to at least 30 volts, to the connected leads and connect positive lead of voltmeter to a good ground connection. Start engine and gradually increase engine speed to approximately 1000 RPM voltmeter reading should rapidly rise to above 24 volts and remain steady.
If reading is low, or if no reading can be obtained, check to see that generator leads are in good condition and that generator is polarized. Note: To polarize (magnetize) generator, dis-connect wire from field ("F") terminal of regulator and momentarily touch this wire to the battery ("A")
terminal of regulator. If generator will not develop the required voltage, follow normal overhaul procedures to repair or renew the generator. If generator checks OK, check voltage regulator.
Don't just leave it in the shed, Fordson's are made to work, so take it out and work it....!