Questions as I rebuild 144 dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
hhiibel
Not Quite Blue Yet

Questions as I rebuild 144 dexta

Post by hhiibel »

hello Dexta'rs,

I purchased a 1959 dexta. Its an oil-aholic. Rebuild kits say "unfinished sleeves". Does this mean I only need to hone? Or do I need to bore and hone? Anyone have a recommended kit? I've seen there are 3 different types of sleeves. What is the best repair manual for this tractor? I plan to do this in-tractor. How do I remove the oil pan in-tractor? I hear dexta's are dry sleeve, yes? And I'll need to dry ice the new sleeve not just freezer it.

I will first put valve cover to verify source of smoking. Maybe its just a head issue.

Update: I found the manual on this site. Very good. Got a few more jobs for "Vector Control" then I'll start tinkering on it.
Yes, dry sleeve.
Seller can answer my sleeve finish question.

thanks

howard

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Questions as I rebuild 144 dexta

Post by Brian »

There are two types of replacement sleeve for your engine and both will need to be fitted at a machine shop.

The first is the original type which is press fitted and then bored out to the correct size. This would be the way I would go.

The second type is a "looser" fit and is held in place by a ring around the top of the sleeve. This will possibly be a later 152 sleeve for the Super Dexta/MF35 and will require the block to be modified to take it. You would also need new pistons to fit the sleeve. The sleeve may also require boreing/honing to size.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

hhiibel
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Questions as I rebuild 144 dexta

Post by hhiibel »

problem solved for $50.
put OEM muffler on.