oil filter/ sump filter/air filter

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
spike
True Blue

oil filter/ sump filter/air filter

Post by spike »

Hi we are now getting thing sorted,
my dexta is a 1958 can you tell me if it has a sump filter if so how do i find it (daft i know its most likely in the sump),but how will i know with out removing the sump that its got one.

oil filter i think it is a bolt on one as it has a bot at the base of the case is there any other way to tell of its not bolt on ?

she is running a little hot when i use the topper just in the red needle on the 7 of 175, i washed out air filter well the bottom part, dose the inner part come out the part that is in the main body.no water loss or oil (just a little oil from rocker gasket)

changed the rocker cover gasket but have oil still leaking out, only a little but i dont like to over tighten on a new gasket but it is tight and fits well any ideas,

i have loads of things to ask but will leave it at that for now.

thank you in advance

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: oil filter/ sump filter/air filter

Post by Brian »

1958 Dexta should have a plate in the bottom of the sump. All Dextas have a sump filter the early ones could be removed without taking the sump off, through the plate.

No you do not have a "spin on" oil filter, you have a cartridge one in the housing. Just undo the bolt and fit a new filter and sealing ring in the top piece.

Clean the radiator and flush through, they do tend to run hot when working hard on a topper. If someone has removed the fan sheild they will run hot.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

thank you
and yes fan shield is missing, oil filter on its way and hosepipe set up to reach shed to wash out rad.
may need to get gasket in a tube as cant get a gasket other then in a full sump kit.

one more thing, any one know if a oil gauge from a major will fit my dexta ? i have not removed the sender yet to see what size the thread is, but one size is the same as a power major i think and the other size again i think the 3/8 unf from a (i will wash my mouth out ) Massey Ferguson.
i just would like to see what the oil pressure is, not fitting just for testing.

thank you

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Oil pressure sender on most Dextas (post 1958?) is 1/4" NPT male thread to screw into the block.
Different adaptors are available to fit the common thread sizes.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

thank you :beer: