Colour wheels

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Cores
Not Quite Blue Yet

Colour wheels

Post by Cores »

Good afternoon,

You will all probably be tired of this discussion, but I need to bring it back once more... sorry! So I'm restoring my brave little '60 Dexta, and I'm starting with the wheels. I dismantled them and I want to get them sandblasted and powdercoated but too bad the guy who will do the job needs a RAL code for the paint. I know there is no exact match with Howard Rotavator Orange, but does anyone happen to know which RAL colour comes closest to it? I have sprayed a few samples, but I just don't know. Below a picture of RAL 2002 (blood orange) on a front wheel and RAL 2009 (traffic orange) on the front grills...
Please help!
many thanks,

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Colour wheels

Post by Bensdexta »

Viewed on my monitor (for what it's worth) Blood Orange is too red. Traffic Orange looks closer to Howard Orange.

Is there a RAL for every colour? :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Cores
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Cores »

I'm afraid there's only a limited number of colours available in the RAL system. All RAL2xxx numbers are different shades of orange...
hereby a second try for the pictures:

RAL2002 Blood Orange

RAL2009 Traffic Orange

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

My money is still with Traffic Orange.

BTW I expect you are aware that that front wheel is not a 'proper' Dexta wheel. It has too many holes!

Cores
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Cores »

Ok thanks, and RAL2009 it will be! I tested this colour on the other front wheel and it look very very similar to Howard orange... Can't wait to see the result!! :clap:
It seems indeed that my wheels have an "extra set" of holes... I

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Cores wrote:It seems indeed that my wheels have an "extra set" of holes... I
Your front wheel is a so-called 'universal' wheel. Does the job fine, but strictly not an original wheel which has half the number of holes and square, rather than round, wheel weight holes.

Cores
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Cores »

I saw another dexta this weekend which seemed to have "original" front wheels and I could indeed see the difference...!
Original wheels added to wishlist -> check! :mrgreen:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Cores wrote:I saw another dexta this weekend which seemed to have "original" front wheels and I could indeed see the difference...!
Original wheels added to wishlist -> check! :mrgreen:
Reproduction OEM style wheels are available. Orginal ones do come up on ebay from time to time.

Cores
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Cores »

Et voila, hereby the result! RAL 2009 and 4 new tires... I only still need to paint the seat however.

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/9742/Q8pqKj.jpg

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Splendid! :wink:

Don't get her dusty when topping!

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi, I stumbled on some interesting info on the orange paint RAL code for the Dexta and Major wheels this evening. Having gone with the RAL 2009 I was never satisfied with it(perfectionist). The code according to http://www.carpentergoodwin.co.uk/produ ... s/214908KR is RAL 2149. To me that looks damn close to the orange paint on my dad's 1963 Dexta wheels those years back.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

My apologies, I have no idea where these guys get their code of RAL 2149. I have searched all the RAL codes I can find and nothing corresponds, so frustrating. I have sent them an enquiry so hopefully they can give me an answer soon.