up date on oil pressure

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
spike
True Blue

up date on oil pressure

Post by spike »

Hi
fitted T adapter in block, put the new sender in and a pro oil pressure gage.

(still have no thermostat in yet) started on 1st flick over from cold (just start up smoke) pressure hit 60 psi and sat there :D put the topper on and set off cutting, soon got to 150 temp in the blue oil pressure still just under 60 psi after 15 mins it dropped slowly to 50 psi and the over the next 30 mins dropped to 25/30 psi and the oil light came on (agriline say the sender it set to come on around 25/30 psi), temp still 150 in blue,
so i set of it some thick stuff and dropped the cut hight to make it work harder and had to got back wards to cut some of it, temp did got up to just before the red when in reverse but soon back in blue when going forwards, oil pressure now down to about 15 psi (just under 1 bar) and it stayed there even on tick over when dropping off topper.

what is the lowest working (pto revs) pressure that will not course any damage please, if it runs at 15/20 psi and oil is getting to rockers and not over heating i think i may leave any drastic work to the winter months.

any advice always welcome

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: up date on oil pressure

Post by Bensdexta »

Is that with W30 grade oil?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

yes W30 oil
have got some 20w50 ready to replace it

jambug123
True Blue

Post by jambug123 »

I would give the engine a good service and use 20/50 engine oil and replace the sender with one from a CNH dealer.
In my opinion with parts cheaper isn't always better as you usually end up buying twise I'm not a fan of using cheap parts when it comes to engines,breaks and bearings.
15psi at idle is good with a hot engine and single weight oil the light shouldn't be on at that pressure it should be on much lower at 7-9psi
at normal operating speed the engine oil pressure should be around 40psi
Regards
James

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

Hi james
thank you for the info.
I have changed oil +filter, fuel filter,air filter, put a fan cowl on the rad, flushed the coolant out and replaced, put a new rocker gasket on, so i was hoping that was a good service to start with.
I got a new thermostat but is did not work (back to cheap again think you are right) got a replacement and tested it in a pan on the cooker (don't tell the wife) worked fine, will fit it in the next few weeks.
other than that i don't know what more i can do for servicing the engine.

i will see if i can get a ford or lucas sender for the oil pressure light and change the oil to 20w50

thank you again
any advice and tips are always welcome may be some day i can help some one in return.

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

[quote="spike"]Hi
fitted T adapter in block, put the new sender in and a pro oil pressure gage...[/quote]

Spike, I would like to fit a gauge, please advise exactly what bits you got and where you got them from.
Thanks
Alan

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

Alan i went to Bonding & Reline Services in Thurmaston - Leicester, Earls Way Ind Estate for all the pipework for my Major. They have pretty much everything in stock you should need just take what you've got and what you need to get to and they should sort you out, Failing that A1 Hydraulics on Troon Industrial Estate also in Leics should definitely also be able to help you.
As you can see here I've T'd my oil pressure gauge in here so i can still use my pressure sender as I've fitted a different engine.

Cheers
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Thanks Fletch - two good resources for the note book.

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi
This was the set up I used for my Dexta after an engine rebuild.
http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/oldtr ... g.jpg.html

Hope this helps
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

Hi Stu-fletch

sorry had a lot on i will get the info for you as its at home and i do all my online at work, if i can find the email i sent the guy that i got the adapter off i will post it today
got it, he also dose the testing gauge
http://www.mattlewisracing.co.uk/
Mechanics Remote Engine Oil Pressure Gauge / Testing Kit

i think the lot was about £40 with posting

they do advise to only use the gauge to test the pressure and not to run full time as the pipe may split, but i would think you can get a metal pipe with the right size fixings made up if you would like it on full time.

hope he can help, if he has not got one he knows were to get them from

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I got my oil pressure gauge from Matt Lewis Racing also (on ebay). Specified a 1/4" NPT adapter to screw into Dexta block. Total cost was £28. works fine, but I don't have the gauge permanently installed.

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

no the place to ask but how do i send a PM, i have had a go but they are just in my out box ?

any help i cant ask the panel as i cant PM

thank you

spike

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

spike wrote:no the place to ask but how do i send a PM, i have had a go but they are just in my out box ?
Just leave it in your outbox. It will go in due course.

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

thank you