Fordson Dexta - Thermostat.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Floydtt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Dexta - Thermostat.

Post by Floydtt »

I am a newbie here and have only owned my Dexta for a year and 1/2 .. Running a 5ft brush hog with dull blades :oops: trying to finish some small thick brush and grass and in 85deg weather. .the temperature went up close to 220 and I notice the smell of antifreeze coming out of the overflow of the radiator. So I backed down and gave it a rest. . . I was down 1/2 gallon of antifreeze .. I filled it back up and took it easy and finish the acre field-- temp still up just over 210.. The next day I drained all the fluid in the radiator.. actually took it off and rinsed it out.. pulled the Thermostat .. (it was closed). I could barely see through the radiator . .so I blew it all out with air. . .and back together now . .and have new antifreeze.. and I would like to install a new Thermostat .. Can't find one locally. . Will a generic one work from NAPA ? THM-70 .. I want to get it back together and use it this weekend, and hope it won't overheat. - I also bought a generic overflow container to mount somewhere on the tractor in case it overflows again so I don't pollute the ground anymore and save the fluid. . I'm not sure if this forum is even in the states? By the way I live in Upstate New York..

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Fordson Dexta - Thermostat.

Post by Bensdexta »

The main point to note is that the opening temperature should be about right, see threads below:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... hp?p=10989
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-b ... on&th=6168

One other point, do you have the fan cowl fitted - annular shroud around the fan? If not, cooling will be less effective.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Floydtt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Floydtt »

Where can I find a shroud in the states .. I don't have one..

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I am told these are OK. They are fibreglass not metal.
Various other shops sell them too, eg Agriline.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fordson-Dexta ... 2ee27d4f52
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Floydtt
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Floydtt »

The thermostat from Napa worked great. . .blew out the radiator fins .. added new antifreeze . .also added an overflow. .. . no more heating!
I wish I had the shroud/ fan cowl . I was out brush hogging yesterday. . somehow a stick from underneath hit the fan and went into the radiator .. :cry:
I found a new one .. . and I'll have to make up my own. .or at least some sheet metal underneath so it doesn't happen again..

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

Try Stevens tractor , they are located in Louisiana. There is another one is All States tractor parts. Both have Dextra parts.