Please help ID serial number on my Ford Super Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bchaney
True Blue

Please help ID serial number on my Ford Super Dexta

Post by Bchaney »

I just bought a Super Dexta, and I am having trouble identifying the year of and information on the engine. I would also like to know if it is the new performance model. Numbers on the left side of the engine are A183 37111310 1619268 and CKN1372 1C (first letter may be a G). The serial number on the flange is C900839. All the others that I have been seeing start with 09. Thanks for any help.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Please help ID serial number on my Ford Super Dexta

Post by Brian »

You might want to find a few casting codes from all the cast parts. They should look like 3L18 or 4L18 (example only) and these will help identify the year she was built.

Your serial number should be down the clutch housing flange behind the injection pump. It should start 09C but it is not unknown for the people stamping it to miss a number. Your number could mean it is a January 1963 tractor but a few casting codes would allow us to confirm this. Fords restarted the serial numbers in January 1963 and again in January 1964 when they went back to similar numbers to 1963 so the casting codes are important.

Serial Number

Just a few of the casting codes.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Bchaney wrote:I just bought a Super Dexta, and I am having trouble identifying the year of and information on the engine. I would also like to know if it is the new performance model. Numbers on the left side of the engine are A183 37111310 1619268 and CKN1372 1C (first letter may be a G). The serial number on the flange is C900839. All the others that I have been seeing start with 09. Thanks for any help.
A183 is the cast date for your engine block - 18 Jan 1963.

1619268 is your engine number. According to my unofficial list of eng nos, this is consistent with a Super engine of Jan/Feb1963.
Your tractor serial no, as said should be prefixed by 09, is also consistent with Jan/Feb63.

Let us know some casting codes (see Brian's guidance) and we can hopefully confirm the date.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Here are some more codes. The one under the seat is 957E 5c1B and behind the starter is 957E 7005 T4 A22J. The serial number on the flange going vertical is C900839. We cannot find any numbers or letter before C. Its not really much more room for anything else. I will try to post a picture when I get off of work this afternoon. Thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Think that should be 5C18 which would be 1965 March 18 th. That is most likely a replacement part as the Dexta range ceased production in July/September 1964. A22J is January 22nd 1963, they changed the code format in June of that year.

With Bens information on the engine she seems to be an early 1963 so she should have Blue tinwork, Orange wheels and silver grills.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

I tried to post a pic of the serial number on the flange but its not working. Can anyone tell me how.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Bchaney wrote:I tried to post a pic of the serial number on the flange but its not working. Can anyone tell me how.
Have a shufti here:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... =34869&f=2
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... php?p=8416
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... hp?p=34151 (but don't try 'tractorsearch' as it's kaput)

In short, upload your pic to Photobucket and copy/paste the [img] code into your post on here.

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Here is the picture of the serial number on the flange. i do not see a 09 prefix anywhere. This is what has been missing me up. All the info on serial number start with a 09 prefix. And, is there a way of telling if it is a NP Super Dexta by looking at it. Thanks for all the help Brent

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

It is not a NP Super Dexta, yours is january/February 1963 and the NP tractors did not come out until June/July 1963. The missing 09 is a mistake by the person who stamped the flange and is quite common.

I have blown the picture up and there looks like a faint "9" above the "0" so it is possible that the man who stamped it hit his hand rather than the stamp. :cry: :cry: :D
Brian

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Ok, thanks for all the help. This is a great site. I'm sure I will be on here a lot trying to get this old thing to run.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Anymore pics of your baby?
Where are you?
Glad you're enjoying the forum. :wink:

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Hey,I'm from Mississippi.I posted a picture of the old girl for you. She's going to need some work. The guy that i work with neighbor had it and just had the fuel injector pump rebuilt and before he could get it back together he passed away. It sat around for two year then i ended up buying it before they took it to the scrape yard. Im missing a few parts they i can get, i just can't find the fuel injector lines. Nobody I've talked to can make them or had them. Im also not sure about the color on it. Three of the rims are white and one of the front rim is orange. One of the post before said it should be orange rims on a early 63.I guess i will worry about it after i get it running again.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

That's great! Should tidy up lovely.
And if she turns over, you should get her running easy enough.

BTW did you find the parts list on here:
http://partstore.agriculture.newholland ... 97ag119097

Another one saved from the wrecker. :thumbs:
Thanks for posting. :wink:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

This is what she should look like but with silver grills and possibly the headlights on the side of the cowl rather than in the front.

Not too sure whether the US colours were used on the Dexta and Super Dexta, the Super Major was named the Ford 5000 and painted Ford Grey tinwork with blue castings. That looked very smart.

The Super Dexta was also renamed Ford 2000 which was a bit confusing as when the later "X" Series came out the same names were used on completely different tractors.
Brian