Heads Up. New Thermostart for Dextas

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Heads Up. New Thermostart for Dextas

Post by Brian »

Some of you might have seen the new thermostart system being sold by Agriline to replace the fuel tap, manifold heater coil and primer pump. It uses a reservoir and a heat operated valve in the thermostart itself. I have done similar in the past with a coil of copper tube.

Only problem I could see with the system is the reservoir is fed by the leak off pipe from the injectors and some times the flow in this pipe is minimal. In the past, some people have fed it from the bleed screw on the filter but this may not be ideal. What could work is a bleed screw from a Ford 6600 or 6610 injection pump with automatic fuel system bleeding. This screw had a very small hole and allowed a constant small flow from the pump to the injector leak off line. I also have a similar idea on the Nuffield 4/65.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

pbufton
True Blue

Re: Heads Up. New Thermostart for Dextas

Post by pbufton »

Do you have a link to this kit Brian? Had a browse and can't see it

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

I Have purchased one of these kits, Old 20 part No. 110206, to fit on the Dexta which I use for road runs. I will hopefully fit it during the winter months and possibly post a write up on this site.

If anyone is contemplating fitting this kit I would strongly advise them to anneal the copper pipe supplied with the kit as it seems to be a little hard. To anneal the pipe apply heat until it is red hot and either quench in water or allow too cool in air this will result in the pipe becoming far more malleable and easier to straighten or bend.

Gerald

Nevis
True Blue

Post by Nevis »

I installed a heat operated thermostart valve on my Dexta a few years ago and connected it to a cup reservoir fed from the injector leak off pipe. I found there was absolutely no flow from the leak off pipe so I just fill the reservoir every 4th start. The thermostart valve works so much better than the original system (it has converted a difficult to start tractor to one that starts immediately in all weathers) that filling the reservoir is no hardship.
Andy

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

From my earlier post you will see that I am experiencing real issues with fuel getting into my Dexta air manifold and eventually the crankcase so I am now considering a Primer Pump Replacement system from Old20 based around a Thermostart.

https://old20tractorparts.com/dexta/297 ... 10206.html

Do these Thermostart systems work well?
Did the leak off pipe provide enough fuel or did Brian's idea of fitting a Ford 6610 Injector Pump Bleed Screw work?
Does this system result in fuel going stale over the summer causing initial Thermostart problems in winter or does the design of the reservoir system ensure constant refreshing?

Sorry for all the questions :scratchhead:

thanks

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

i have one rigged up a reservoir type system on my s/dexta
what i did find is it burned out the thermostat after a couple of uses
mybe i was holding the heater button in to long or not long enough either way
there is no way of telling when to let go of heater
button and after using for a short while i was replacing thermostat :cry: , i mostly
use tractor in summer time so now tractor in kept shed and is not really an issue :)

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

In the words of Ross from Friends 'one mississippi two mississippi...' up to 40 max for the old style glow plug but if its a good starter like mine I count to 20 and use only when its cold.

Are you there Brian (I'm using The Force now) this was an old thread that you suggested a better solution for, did you ever try it?

thanks

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed