A few QQs: dexta gearlever mount + engine/gearbox/diff oil

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
fredthedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

A few QQs: dexta gearlever mount + engine/gearbox/diff oil

Post by fredthedog »

Hi all

Thanks for a super forum

I'm trying to get my father in law's dexta running again, and have a variety of challenges (all done remotely tractor is many miles away!)!!!

Firstly the machine screws that hold the gearlevel base down are very worn/cross threaded etc, hence the whole base moves about. Please can you advise the thread that these are, I'll then try to obtain replacement machine screws and also get taps (and dies) to try and repair the threads.

Secondly, I've seen the post re the oil for engine, gearbox and diff; pls can you confirm it is all SAE 20W-30 for the lot??? I expected some ep80/90 or similar for the gearbox/diff??

Thanks again (and I also have to unfreeze the clutch which has siezed, I'm hoping it will unstick once the engine/box are warmed and following multiple pressings of the clutch pedal)

regards

N :lol:
trying to fix the father in law's Dexta!

Brian Cox
True Blue

Re: A few QQs: dexta gearlever mount + engine/gearbox/diff o

Post by Brian Cox »

20/30 oil fine for all.
when I restored my baby, the clutch was siezed, tried constant press and release, all that happened was the main drive plate was ripped to bits, so a clutch rebuild was required :cry:

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Firstly, I hope you enjoy getting the Dexta working and using it. This forum is full of helpful advice and has been a life saver for me over the years.
Just an observation about one of your questions, based on my own experience.
My Dexta has a common problem - the main gear lever sliding out of the selectors during operation.
I leave my lever base finger tight with caphead bolts so I can quickly remove it and use my finger to put the selector back into neutral :mrgreen:. Perhaps this is the reason yours is how it is.

Disclaimer:
Be advised that I am old and stupid and suggest that anyone putting their finger into a live gearbox is asking for trouble :shock:.

Les bryant
True Blue

Post by Les bryant »

The bolts that hold the gear levers down are 5/16 unc .If you weld the ball up on the main gear lever ,you can do up the bolts tight.
Cheers Les.

fredthedog
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fredthedog »

Thanks all really helpful, I hope to fix some of the problems in the next few weeks and I'll come back as needed cheers Nigel
trying to fix the father in law's Dexta!

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I have tried to refit the gear lever plate and found that one of the tapped holes was full dirt, when I scraped it out it turned out to be quite shallow with only a bout 3 or 4 threads left showing. I think there must be a bit of broken stud in there. I am considering drilling it out but will have to be careful, I note by feeling about the underside that the holes are blind with a rounded lump in the casting and not that deep anyway. I don't want to drill right through and re tap although it would make a good job of the hole I think the swarf could play havock with the smooth running of the gear box.

I'll post some pictures on my rebuild thread soon (I Hope)

Regards

Ian

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

The hole that seem very shallow (RH rear) was in fact just blocked with hardened soil possibly cement, I drilled down into it carefully on slow speed, not wanting to go right through and dump all the grit and swarf into the gear box. I then ran a tap down the threads, blew out the bits and then a new bolt of the correct size (can't remember what it was) fitted nicely.

Regards

Ian