Anyone using a cordwood saw on Dexta?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Chris Ivin
True Blue

Anyone using a cordwood saw on Dexta?

Post by Chris Ivin »

I have been renovating a Massey Ferguson Cordwood saw to use on my Dexta.

I was intending to run it off a Dexta belt pulley but having attached it today I can see that the pulley on the tractor and the saw are not in line :oops:

Is anyone successfully using a Fergie cordwood saw on a Dexta and if so what problems did you have (if any):?:

It looks as if the saw is specifically meant to run with a MF 35 belt pulley, has anyone run a a 35 belt pulley on a Dexta?

Comments/experiences appreciated.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Chris

Yes my father back in the late sixties used a ferguson belt pulley on our Super Dextas' to drive a stationary chaff cutter. Obviously the cutter was in a fixed position at the silo and the tractor then able to be lined up and belt attached to both pulleys.

I can take a picture of that ferguson pulley for you tomorrow and email it off to you if you email me your email address if that will help.

Can you tell us whether your saw is on three point or fixed. A picture of your saw setup might help others to help you find a solution.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Hi Mervyn,

There is a good video clip of a very similar model on YouTube.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m6y_qxR7FyM

The saw attaches to the lift arms but there is no top link, instead there is a triangular bracket that attaches to the top of the belt pulley gear box. This bracket stops any sideway movement of the saw and fixes its position, my problem seems to be that the Dexta pulley is more offset from the centre line of the tractor than the Fergie pulley would be.

These are some diagrams.

Chris

Brailes, UK

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

The saw attaches to the lift arms but there is no top link, instead there is a triangular bracket that attaches to the top of the belt pulley gear box. This bracket stops any sideway movement of the saw and fixes its position, my problem seems to be that the Dexta pulley is more offset from the centre line of the tractor than the Fergie pulley would be.
Problem sorted :D

I had not realised that the triangular bracket (12 on diagram) was asymetrical. In the light of a new day I could see that it is offset by an inch or two, turn it around and everything lines up perfectly!

In words of Del Boy, "what a plonker" :oops: .

For non UK members Del Boy was a comedy character in a series called "Only Fools and Horses".
Chris

Brailes, UK

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Ivin

Thanks for the diagrams and glad you were able to help yourself. I watched the video clip you attached and yes it was very interesting. I needed something like that this morning to cut up the tree branches that I had trimmed off a tree on the street. Had to do with a 600mm/2ft bow saw.

Kind regards
Mervyn

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Just acquired a Dexta belt pulley for my FW$%£^*n Cordwood Saw bench and I searched the forum and found this thread.
If the Dexta pulley dosn't line up then why can't you just slacken the saw pulley securing screws (buried under the saw dust and grease probably) and move the pulley along the shaft so it lines up?
Regards
Jerry Coles
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Chris,

Glad you got it sorted. It looks like it needs to be treated with respect - any carelessnes could be painfull! :(

Is there any means of stopping the saw or the tractor in an emergency, although it would probably be too late?

Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Have you a log splitter too?

Take care,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Ben,

No I haven't got a quick stop, I had thought about putting a piece of string on the pto lever but haven't got round to it yet.

I have had one season with it and it has been great.

But you are right about treating it with respect, my safety tips would be:

1)No loose clothing that could get caught on shafting.
2) Use on a level site and clear any trip hazards.
3) Avoid distractions (e.g. too many assistants!, one trusted helper is enough.
4) Avoid old fence posts or anything that may have metal work in.
5) Never through logs over the bench (potential missiles).
6) Adopt a safe working practice and stick with it (avoid hand movements across the line of the blade.

7) Don't rush, take your time.
Chris

Brailes, UK

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Chris,

Thanks for the advice.

Have you any photos of your saw in action?

Have you a splitter? If so what sort?

All the best,
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

There are some photos of the saw up and running in this thread:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... t=cordwood

The only log splitter I have is an axe, most of the wood I log up is from coppice woodland so nothing too big.

Jerry - I could have tried to move the pulley on the shaft but in the end it wasn't required, it all lined up OK when I got the coupling the right way round.
Chris

Brailes, UK