Dexta lift settings - what am I doing wrong?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
zulphur
Not Quite Blue Yet

Dexta lift settings - what am I doing wrong?

Post by zulphur »

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have a Forson Dexta diesel from around 1962. I am in the process of refurbishing the hydraulic lift that had some issues when lifting. I have made a repair to a pin on the control arm which had worn half way through. So far so good. Now I am in the process of doing a readjustment on the lift, but I am now sure that I do it the right way. Brian has made a nice article about this subject, and I have done the adjustments according to this, but I am unsure that I have done it the right way. My problem is that the turnbuckle on the control valve is almost undone from the threads. I do not think that this is right?

First thing I did was to use a straight edge to line up the lifting arms yoke to the surface of the lift cover. It says in the article that the upper surface of the yoke shall be aligned to the surface of the cover. This was not possible, my lift arms will not go that far. I can only make the bottom of the arms level with the surface - is this right?

Next thing was selector in Qualitrol (facing down)

Then quadrant 1/2 inch from top stop.

I am a bit unsure about where to take the measurement of 10 mm. I did it where the control valve bush is flush with the ram cylinder, and to the rear edge of the control valve shaft. I am unsure that this is right? The instruction made by Brian says to measure 10mm from front edge of control valve to rear face of control valve bush.

I have made a couple of pictures, but I have difficulties in attaching them to this post.

Regards
Anders

zulphur
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Dexta lift settings - what am I doing wrong?

Post by zulphur »

Hi,

Now I have made a couple of pictures during the adjustment of the lift.

http://s376.photobucket.com/user/zulphur1/library/

I hope that someone can tell me if the is the right way to measure and to align the lift arm yokes.

Thanks,
Anders

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Dexta lift settings - what am I doing wrong?

Post by Brian »

Everything you have done is correct, sorry about the confusion on the lift arm position but it is the upper edge when the lift is on its back. :D You may have to slightly vary the 10mm to 12mm. The measurement is not totally critical it is setting where the lift lever causes the lift to start rising. the 13mm on the quadrant can again be slightly varied to say between 10 -15mm.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian