Been a long time

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
naildriver
True Blue

Re: Been a long time

Post by naildriver »

I took the injectors apart to clean them. The tit holes were stopped up on 3 of the 6. I worked for an hour on the last one. I don't know the proper tension on the top brass spring screw but I guessed it from memory and put it back together expecting it to fire right up. I thought I heard it hit one time. I let it turn a bit thinking it may need to pump up pressure. I think I could hear an unwanted sound???? I don't know how to explain it. Does it reveal anything when it is turning over, your looking at the fan blades and just as it is about to stop turning, it reverses the other way for 3/4 a round.

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

Tried it again. It got to spinning really fast like it was going to hit. But it never really hit. But you could tell that it had sped past the rpms that the starter is able to turn.... but never hit. It would probably pull off now. Edit 20 minutes later. I pulled the injectors and turned them upwards. Even though I had just cleaned them, one was not spraying. So I probed the tits again and got it spraying. Put it back together and it did hit once. I think that maybe with a good battery and sitting to clear the fuel..... it just may crank? We will see. I keep thinking I will stop for the night.... but I don't want to give up just yet.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Try each injector on the pipe that gives a good spray and also try the good injector on the "bad" pipes. This will tell you if it is pump or injector. You then need to get the injectors or pump to a diesel shop. Do not try to clean or adjust them yourself as you could cause more damage without the brass brushes and probes to clean the injectors.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

I took the injectors off again and pointed them up. At first I was only getting anything out of #1. I noticed I had a slight leak at the fitting so I tightened 2 and 3. Then I got spray at all three. Then I switched injector 1 with 3. Still the same thing. Starter starts off turning slow, normal, then after a little, 40 seconds or so, it speeds up, like it is trying to start, as if two cylinders are running.... but just dont crank

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

old timer diesel man who is known for rebuilding injector pumps said about $500 to rebuild. This may not be the problem but I intend to keep this tractor in use so we will see

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Get him to check out the injector too and set up the correct pressures. That is one area I will not advise on as the wrong settings can possibly destroy an engine. Leave injectors and pumps to the experts IMHO. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

naildriver
True Blue

Post by naildriver »

I am not sure why, but he said to change the oil in the injector pump and then try it. So I drained the oil..... what seemed like 90% diesel. I scanned my manual and could not find the injector pump oil type needed. I did find "self lubricated" which can confuse??? My pump is different than the one in my manual. But it surely has an oil plug to show the fill height. I need to read the entire portion, I just scanned over it