Nozzle in inlet manifolt.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
dexta61
Not Quite Blue Yet

Nozzle in inlet manifolt.

Post by dexta61 »

I have replaced my glowplug with new. When I tested it the new one was working the old one was not. The next thing is i taken the nozzle out and checked if it worked. Wel the ball was moving, but I could not get any air though by blowing ( put it in my mouth and put air pressure on it, by the way I do not smoke, leave that for the dexta hahahha) but nothing came through, or should there be a high pressure on it to open the nozzle. Question is how does the nozzle from the primer into the inlet manifolt work and how can I check it. Also can I spray in petrol instead of diesel since petrol wil ignite better? A lot of questions
I just bought a DEXTA

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

I am not familiar with Dexta but those usually open the valve with the heat of the glow. So it will take a while to open. I would not try with petrol under any circumstanses. When it´s open it don´t need any pressure. The fuel will flow down by it self. After a short time of glowing You can hear a sound when the fuel ignites, then You can start.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The advantage of spraying petrol into the intake manifold of a Dexta is that you won't have to use a computer to check problems in the future, you will be able to ask Henry himself personally! :twisted:

That is, if both of you end up in the same place. :roll:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

dexta61
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dexta61 »

But how does the nozle work with in the manifold, is it indeed ependent on the heat from the glowplug and than pump a small amount of diesel in to ignite and basicaaly create a fire in the manifold?
I just bought a DEXTA

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Yes the fuel is burning in the manifold and that is preheating the air that goes in to the cylinders and then the compression will do the final heating and then when the fuel is injected in the hot compressed air it is instantly ignited. Here is pictures of how I have done it on my Roadless. (The electric wire is missing on the picture)
Image[/img]

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Grani,
That's pretty clever, is your version taken from the original or is it your own design? You have a creative mind, and that's a good thing to have.
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Mark wrote:Grani,
That's pretty clever, is your version taken from the original or is it your own design? You have a creative mind, and that's a good thing to have.
The 590 E engines do not have these as original. I have bought this nozzle as a spare part for some other engine and the mount elbow is home made. I normally don´t use it because i have a hose heater, but in case I am out of reach of the electric power this would be a useful help when cold.

aldo
True Blue

Post by aldo »

dexta61 wrote:But how does the nozle work with in the manifold, is it indeed ependent on the heat from the glowplug and than pump a small amount of diesel in to ignite and basicaaly create a fire in the manifold?
Grani is talking about the new replacement heater plugs -these have a built in 'nozzle' that opens up when the heater plug gets hot. You connect the line from your primer pump straight to the heater plug - the original 'nozzle' you are talking about is not needed if you use this method.

The original 'nozzle'/jet can be dismantled for cleaning. If you look inside it, you will see a small collar that holds the spring and ball bearing in place. I used a small 'easy-out' to remove the collar very carefully, then took out the spring and ball. When reassembling, tap the collar in very gently.

dexta61
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dexta61 »

To carry on, my glow plug goes in from below into the manifolt, but the spray nozzle comes in from the side. I have seen a picture now of a glow plug that has the fuel line connected from below, but that is not the system I have got. At the end of the fuel line I have got a nozzle and in there is a ball which will move, but when I blow it does not want to open in any direction. Any sugestions here?
I just bought a DEXTA

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

The check valve in the nozzle on the Dexta was designed to be opened by the pressure obtained from pressing on the primer bulb that is built in to the fuel tap.....I don't know how much pressure that is precisely, I've never attempted to measure it ...

Basically you need to determine that 1) the primer bulb is working, 2)the line isn't blocked, 3 the nozzle works ......

I would try operating the primer several times with the line detached at the nozzle....make sure you are getting fuel flow..and pump out any trash that may be in the line.....if line seems blocked, take it loose at both ends and clean it ....if line is clear and no fuel is flowing, problem is in the primer or the strainer may be blocked.

With the line detached from the nozzle, you should be able to spray a bit of cleaner from an aerosol can into it using the plastic 'straw' that comes with the can.

If that bit looks alright, and you're glow element is working, you should get a nice 'pop' when the fuel hits the hot element....I can hear it on mine over the starter noise if I listen for it.

You could also remove the nozzle assy from the manifold. attach it back to the line, and operate the primer...you should see a small spray.....keep your hands, eyes, etc clear of the spray..

With the nozzle out of the manifold, you can also soak it in a bit of acetone, mek, or carb cleaner.
Jack

dexta61
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dexta61 »

Thanks all for the answers, I think this will be enough to get the system installed.
I just bought a DEXTA