Any experiences of using a post rammer?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
alang
True Blue

Any experiences of using a post rammer?

Post by alang »

My 58 Dexta has the usual trailer pipe outlet and the rammer I'm looking at is a single feed/return type. Unfortunately the supplier has no idea if it would work on a Dexta, bless him.
My aux. unit is a little early, basically pull out the knob and then lift the main lift lever to activate the trailer pipe.
What worries me is the flow of oil back when the ram shuts.

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: Any experiences of using a post rammer?

Post by ianpdexta »

I'm not sure what the rammer looks like, but like a trailer if it has a single acting hydraulic cylinder then the oil will return via the same pipe and the internal valves will let the oil return to the back axle with no problem.

regards

Ian

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

Thanks Ian, the worrying difference is the flow rate of the ram closure. A trailer closes slowly where as by design the rammer ram needs to shut very quickly to trigger the fall of the weight. I guess I'll have to have a demo using the Dexta to be sure. Here is a video of it on a Kubuto compact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8sIF0CFQs

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I see what you mean, on the Kubota in the video there is quite a large lever effect where the weight is lifted by a small movement of the ram, and the ram looks to be quite small bore so perhaps the oil return flow rate is not too fast. I'm surprised that there isn't a latch mechanism where the weight could free fall.

On a different tack all together I was interested to see posts being inserted ready for the Barleylands steam rally last weekend. they used a modern heavy duty loader carrying a large block of concrete, one man held the post up while the other gently lowered the weight of top of it, it effortlessly pressed the stake into the ground.

Regards

Ian

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

I've squeezed 4" posts-in with a 3 ton digger using the tip of the boom, but that was in front of a layed hedgerow. I now need to fence across open paddocks and need each post upright.

Going way off-topic. I've booked this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNfEdyXP5ww for a week, just to see if it works. Apparently you need to spike the holes deep and soak them overnight. If it works I shall give up on the tractor knocker as I've only got about 150 posts to set-in.

Most folk around me have Parmiter drivers and they need a 50HP+ tractor with more than one spool valve.