Super Dexta start procedure??

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
basewindow
True Blue

Super Dexta start procedure??

Post by basewindow »

A few questions…
What is the correct start procedure for a diesel Super Dexta?
The operators manual mentions..
1. Ensure that the fuel supply tap is turned on. The main supply is available when the supply tap is unscrewed two turns.
2. Check that the main gear lever is in the neutral position.
3. Ensure that the stop control on the control panel is pushed right in.
4. Insert the main control key in the switch, turn to the right and check that both-warning lights become illuminated.
5. Move the throttle lever in a clockwise direction to slightly more than the half open position.
6. Press the induction primer button once only to inject a small quantity of fuel on to the heater plug and depress the heater button for forty seconds.
7. Depress the clutch pedal fully and, with the heater button still depressed, operate the starter motor by pushing the starter control lever downwards. Pump the primer button two or three times as the engine is being turned over by the starter motor, when the engine should start.
8. Release the starter control lever and the heater button immediately the moment the engine starts and adjust the engine speed by means of the throttle lever. If the engine does not start, wait thirty seconds and try again. Always ensure that all moving parts come to rest before attempting to re-engage the starter motor otherwise damage may occur.

But I believe the Super is different as it has a mechanical governor and injector pump?

After some reading there has been some mention about
1. Depressing the excess fuel button on the injector pump.
2. Open in the throttle ½ to a ¼,.
3. Depressing the primer button,
4. Pressing the glow plug heater button and then
5. Cranking the engine?

Only a few problems, mine doesn’t appear to have the heater button?

It has a light, (lower right) which illuminates when the key is turned to the right. Above that, what I figure was once a horn button (It doesn’t appear to do anything now) and on the left a simple on/off light switch, which illuminates the Proof meter, and above that, a pull stop button.
So where is this mysterious heater button? Did the Super not come out with one? Has mine been modified sometime in the past? Or does the glow plug automatically heat when the key is turned and the light is on? Once the tractor is started I can turn the key back and the light goes out, seemingly without affecting anything.
It looks like the glow plug it still connected, but I’m not sure as yet if it’s actually working.

I’ve tried removing it to check but at the moment it just seems to spin and not come out.

The wiring on this old girl is a mess to say the least, most has been disconnected (Simply cut off really). There are no head or tail lights and the temp gauge and warning lights on the dash are missing. I am in the process of replacing what there is still connected with new stuff, but it’s hard to tell what was original and what has been jury rigged. (There is just a roll of disconnected wiring) The only things that seem to be connected are Battery to solenoid, to the switch at the crank lever, to the generator and starter motor etc.
I haven’t traced it all back to the control box yet as I haven’t been able to easily get in there.
I have the wiring diagram from the manual but if the Super is different from the Dexta (As it appears to be) then I’m not sure I have too much faith in it.

Also I assume there was once a primer here, but this is all that is left.

Is it just a matter of inserting some sort of plastic pump bulb, like from a chainsaw or something to fix this?
I haven’t had too much of an issue starting her normally, but just recently in the cold, 1 or 2 degrees C, and with the lack of help from a dying battery, it’s been a lot harder. (I’m not sure it’s charging the battery either..)

While I’m here and replacing things…

I assume this is where the temperature gauge should be connected? Is it just a case of removing this stump and inserting a new one? There appear to be some on E-bay? I even have a spare from an old International 434 which might fit?

Again with the Proof meter cable, as simple as removing and inserting a new one?

Anyone know if the gauges and meters advertised on E-Bay from India are any good?
Thanks all.
62 Super Dexta.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Super Dexta start procedure??

Post by Bensdexta »

Ref re-wiring, I recommend getting a complete new S Dexta harness from Autosparks, Nottingham. Good quality and not expensive, with all wiresin the original colours, iaw the wiring diag. I got mine 'in braid' without end fittings with the wires extra long, so I could cut them to length and fit my own end fittings, which were also purchased from autosparks.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

With regard to starting, how well does it start? Are you having problems? many will start quite well without heater plug.

My view on the use of the heater plug if you get it working is to be sure that the fuel has ignited before you crank the engine, if the coil is hot enough to ignite fuel after 30 seconds then I would pump and crank straight away. My point being that you want the engine inhale fire, so there is no point in cranking before the fuel ignites and if you wait too long after it ignites then I think it might use the available air up and go out. At least with a Dexta's manual control you can squirt more fuel on to the red hot coil just before you crank. On a combine some years ago which had the later 'thermostart' device fitted, I used to pull the rubber air intake hose back so I could see when the fire started then crank as soon as it did.

I wonder if your tractor never had a cold start device, perhaps intended for a warm climate, or has someone removed it?

Regards

Ian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

My Dexta doesn't need priming or heater to start in the UK summer. Fires up withing a couple of seconds. In OZ I wouldn't have thought you need them either. If she doesn't start easily, servicing injectors and / or injection pump would be my first call.

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

the heater button goes below the horn button :buddies:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Your primer is incomplete - I guess it has been disconnected. You can use a chain saw primer as I have, but it's a certain amount of work.
See:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... hp?p=18407

Or I believe you can buy repro prmers but I have no idea what the quality is like.

Ref temp sender and proof meter cable, your suppositions are correct.

Brian Cox
True Blue

Post by Brian Cox »

be carefull! there are two different sizes of threads for the oil pressure switch :cry:

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I have seen those complete wiring looms. Not sure exactly what I will be needing. I'll probably put head lights back on but dont think I'll need plate light, turn signals etc. Due to the poor AU exchange rate I'd be looking at about $200 including postage, when I have a mountain of 12v cable around here. I'll see what the rest of the wiring is like and make a decision. Making a diagram of the wiring is a good idead though, as I don't have too many colours to choose from. I'll get some sort of cladding or tubing for the cables as well to tidy things up.

In relation to the cold start. It hasn't been too hard to start, in fact in warm weather with a good battery it kicks over almost straight away. It was just in the cold a month ago and with a dying battery it was a struggle. I was really just interested as to whether this Super had been modified or it actually came out like this. As I said when I trace the rest of the wiring back inside the control box I guess I'll find out what's been done

Sounds like it's been modified. When I get time I'll check out the rest of the wiring and decide if I need a heater switch etc.

I might have a go doing a similar mod on the primer with a chainsaw bulbwhich I have several of
62 Super Dexta.

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Just an update.

Well after tracing the wiring back to the ignition/control box I have found a few interesting things.(Firstly it was full or spiders webs and dirt and god know what else!!)

I found that the light, which is where the heater button is usually located, is actually the charging light, which is normally mounted up near the steering wheel (It's missing on mine, along with the oil light and temp gauge).

The heater glow plug is functional but has been wired incorrrectly at the key ignition. I have re-wired it to function on the third click of of the key ignition. This way if its not needed, I dont need to turn it on.

What a difference a bit of re-wiring does! I replaced all the wiring and along with the correct start proceedure she starts within about 5 cranks.

The light switch is just an On/Off type arrangement which in this case only litghts the tacho lamp. There are two hot wires from this which I have reserved for some head lights and tail lights.

The button I think is for a horn, but since I dont have one yet, I've just capped it off.

The alternator seems to be charging now.

Whilst I was down there I noticed that the throttle linkage had come out of its position where it fits in steering gear. It now sits in the proper spot and the throttle now moves properly and smoothly.

Things are slowly getting there.
62 Super Dexta.