lift arms won't lower

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
pjjms
True Blue

lift arms won't lower

Post by pjjms »

I have a tractor that has been unused for about 15 years. 12 of those it did not start, and about 3 years ago I got it running when I picked it up. At that time the lift arms would only lower very slowly with a lot of weight on them. Another 3 years on with no use and they don't lower at all. I have put a chain block between the arms and draw bar and nothing moves, it's solid. Not even a hint of movement. I am assuming given the chain block has been in place for a day or so that the lift arm spindle is seized rather than a valve issue. I am assuming that the lift cylinder piston would at least creep a little. Do you think that is correct?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: lift arms won't lower

Post by Brian »

It can be lift arm shaft or unload valve. If they are stuck up you will need to get them to move down before you can take the lift off as the part that holds the ram pin will not come through the top cover. It can be done if you take the bolts out of the ram cylinder and drop this into the rear axle.

You will need lots of easing oil, heat and a big hammer or press to get the cross shaft out. It will only come out through one side, when you get the top off you will see a spacing washer that prevents it coming out the other way.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

basewindow
True Blue

Re: lift arms won't lower

Post by basewindow »

I had a similar problem with my lift arms, which in the end turned out to be a seized lift arm shaft. They were also stuck in the raised position. I had to use the procedure Brian described below to get the lift plate off whilst the lift arms were still raised. It worked. Again as Brian described it took a fair bit of patience, oil, heat and a bit of brute force to get things moving again. But working again they are. Good luck.
62 Super Dexta.