Rear wheel centre disk

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
basewindow
True Blue

Rear wheel centre disk

Post by basewindow »

A quick question about the rear wheel centre disk thickness.

As my rear tyres on the Dexta were worn out I decided to simply swap the whole rear wheels from my (Dead) International 434 over to it. They are the same 12.4 R28.
Having done that and on tightening the nuts I noticed that they only screwed on to about half the length of the thread. On closer look it’s because the centre wheel disk is at least twice as thick. Obviously these are a heavy duty type. Hence my dilemma.

Should I swap the Dexta centre disks over to the rims with the good tyres? (As long as they fit)

Or can I grind a bit more out from around the nut holes so the nuts can go in further?

Or take the old wheels down to the tyre dealer and just get new tyres, which will cost about $900AU and leave me with a perfectly good set of tyres doing nothing?

Any suggestions?

Also why I’m here.

I’ve noticed that there are several combinations as to how the rims and wheels can be set up. For example, centre disks attached, dish in or dish out with the rim attachments closest to the tractor hub, or dish in, dish out, with the rim attachments furthest from the tractor hub.
So I guess four potential set up’s, with the dish in and attached to the rim furthest from the hub giving the widest track and dish out and attached closest to the hub giving the narrowest.
Is there any ‘correct’ set up? Is there any issues with having it set up as the widest as it is now? Axle stress?

Regards,

Cam.
62 Super Dexta.

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: Rear wheel centre disk

Post by ianpdexta »

hello Cam
If I were you I would swap your centre disks onto the International rims with tyres, I wouldn't grind anything off or run with short thread engagement.

As for width settings, this should be in the manual which I think you can link to from this site, the widths are to match up with various row crop jobs, I don't think there is a problem with running with the wheels set wide, after all it will be more stable.

Regards

Ian

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Thanks. I'll have a go at changing out the dish first.

I measured the International dish and it's 18mm thick, which I'm guessing is about 3/4" !!

The Dexta dish looks like it's about 5mm or 3/16"

That's a fair difference.

If the dish swap doesn't or won't work, I guess a counter sink around the lug holes should work as there's plenty of metal to play with.

I've had a look at the manual and it says 76" or about 1900mm for the widest rear track. I'll check that out as well.

Regards,

Cam
62 Super Dexta.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

basewindow wrote:I measured the International dish and it's 18mm thick, which I'm guessing is about 3/4" !!

The Dexta dish looks like it's about 5mm or 3/16". That's a fair difference.
3/4" thick - must have come off a tank!!
A bit more info here: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=1028

One Q:
Is it OK to change a wheel centre without removing the tyre first - let the air out first of course?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

I’m working from a measurement I wrote on a scrap piece of paper which looks like 18mm. Could be 16mm.

I’ll remeasure it when I get a chance, but they are thick! I did wonder at the time why they were so much heavier than the original Dexta wheels!!

Is my conversion right? Sorry we work in metric mm over here. Most of the time. I was one of the people born around the metric change over. My parents speaking feet and inches and getting taught mm, cm etc at school.

About changing the centre dish. I don’t know.

It never occurred to me that changing out the centre might be an issue with the tyre on or inflated?
Would the pressure of an inflated tyre be enough to distort the rim?

Guess I’ll let the air out just to be safe and see what happens.
62 Super Dexta.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There is no problem changing the wheel centre with the tyre inflated, the rim will not distort. If it does you have very poor metal in the rim.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

I didn't think so, but stranger things have happened...

If the rim is anything like the centre disk then there certainly shouldn't be a problem!
62 Super Dexta.