Timing gear cover gasket

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bchaney
True Blue

Timing gear cover gasket

Post by Bchaney »

Hi I just bought a gasket kit from yesterdays tractor so I can replace my timing gear cover gasket and it's doesn't fit. Is there more than one gasket. Or has my engine been replaced? Can I tell by looking at the serial number? SN 1619268 The guy from yesterday tractor said they have sold fifty this month and had no problems. thanks for any help. Brent

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Timing gear cover gasket

Post by Brian »

The original parts book gives the same gasket from 1957 to end of production, it may be that you have got a replacement Ferguson/Perkins engine fitted or YT are supplying a gasket set for a P3/Ferguson engine rather than the F3 Ford one. They seem to have supplied a lot of Dexta gasket sets in a month for the number of Dextas in the US so I would think they may be using the one set to cover the MF 35 as well.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

russelm
True Blue

Re: Timing gear cover gasket

Post by russelm »

There must be two types for the Perkins 3 cylinder as a recent engine gasket kit that came from a well known supplier, had two cover gaskets of slightly different shapes.

Obviously only one of the supplied fitted the Dexta.
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!