Lets see - Implements on your Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
basewindow
True Blue

Re: Lets see - Implements on your Dexta

Post by basewindow »

Good idea. Top link removed!!

62 Super Dexta.

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

:clap: (sort of...)

So it is definitely designed for a Fergie, which has the extra lugs cast onto the back-end, as that doesn't look a very strong arrangement at the moment, I am worried that you will maybe bend that long pin if you try to lift something heavy. I have Fergies here, I can take a photo if you are not sure what I mean. The pin would go through the bottom of the top-link rocker, and thus give you a little more lift height at the scoop.

Maybe it was possible to get different 'curved links', to fit different tractors? I am currently grappling with an old McConnel hedge-cutter I have bought off ebay, which has come with a similar top-link bracket meant for a Fergie, and I am hoping to make a different one so I can use the machine on a Live-drive Major. The instruction book (printed in 1964) lists the different brackets, pins and pto shafts needed for the tractors of the 1950's and 60's.

So if I were you, and going to use the loader to lift stuff, I would take off that curved link, and make another one with, perhaps, the end off an old top-link, that fitted to your Dexta using the normal top-link pin :)
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Yes a photo of the Fergie setup would be good. Not sure the bucket would actually hold too much in the way of weight, its not very large. What were these type of loaders supposed to be used for?
62 Super Dexta.

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Grr camera battery flat... but I found quite a good photo here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Massey-Fergu ... SwlrFaw4XE The back-end casting is basically the same as the Dexta, apart from an extra 'ear' at each side, and there is a long pin goes through them + the bottom of the top-link rocker - visible in the photo, although in this case someone has fitted a long bolt and nut. The 'correct' pin has a hinge in the middle, to make it easier to fit in.

When using a Fergie with a loader, or tipping a trailer, you need to stop the link arms coming right up, otherwise hydraulic flow is cut off; so you need to either use the pickup hitch with T-bar, which fits on to the long pin, or, a 9-hole drawbar with stays, also on to the pin. If these were fitted on to the normal top-link mounting, then lifting the hydraulic lever would compress the top-link plunger, and again, cut off oil flow. So the more modern Dexta, with its hydraulic external-services plunger, doesn't really need the extra attachment to the backend.

Things like this were quite common too on Fergies, I think, in the days before the modern swinging drawbar: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferguson-Dra ... SwhEla7s3h (I don't know why they mention the Dexta, because it would obviously not fit it)
1440276 - 1957 - working

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Yes i see what you mean with the back end of the Fergie.

I have plenty of replacement pins if it does happen to bend, so I'll have a go at lifting some stuff in the bucket and see how it goes.

If it does happen to bend I'll rig something up. I've got a short top link somewhere as well which may work. Some experimentation is called for.

To be honest I'm not exactly sure what I'll use it for as the bucket isn't very big, but I suppose it's still better than a shovel and wheelbarrow!
62 Super Dexta.

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Your loader obviously has a long reach, but I wouldn't expect it to be able to lift very much; a front loader on a Fergie can only lift something like 5cwt/250kg. There are rear-mounted loaders here, but they have much shorter reach, and will still make a Major wave its front wheels in the air.

But I wonder if yours was intended to lift sacks of grain, or wool, on to a truck, say? There was a Ferguson attachment for that, but maybe a locally-made one, like yours (I guess), would be cheaper?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fergu ... FoG3Y3PcTM:
1440276 - 1957 - working

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Gee could hardly make out anything in that photo, someone had removed all the colour!!!! :P

It's not what you would call heavy duty and as you say has quite a longer reach than others.

Was thinking something like a grain or manure scoop? Fair bit of dairy in the local area.

I'm sure I'll find some use for it, probably shifting gravel or something or perhaps as you say as a lift.

Maybe I'll just leave it attached and have people ask 'That's interesting, what do you use that for?' Or one of the locals might see it and say 'We used to have one of those, we used it for......'
62 Super Dexta.