Super dexta vavles

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bchaney
True Blue

Super dexta vavles

Post by Bchaney »

Hi, I had to replace my cam on my super dexta I'm restoring. The head had some moisture in it and I'm had checking my vavles. I used a lapping tool and compound to try to clean it up and it looked good. But when I pour diesel in the exhaust ports after a few minutes I start seeing some diesel trying to come out around the vavles. I bumped the spring and alot started coming out after it closed. What should I do next. Thanks Brent

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Super dexta vavles

Post by Brian »

You need the seats re-cut and the valves re-faced as well as new valve guides to be sure that all is well. If she is leaking diesel it will not be long, when running, for the hot gasses to undo all your hard work.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Ok thanks I will try to find a locate machine shop. Thanks Brent

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Brian is correct.

For me, its a multi stage process which involves some basic checking and inspection.

If you can, remove the collets and valve springs and check the guides for wear and play, also inspect the valve seats and valve mating face for damage.

You may well find that, assuming the guides are ok, that re-lapping of the valves sorts the issue.

If not then its off a shop for more serious work
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

Where are you located? I have a new rebuild kit with new valves guides the works that I never used as my head was cracked in several places. If you are in the U S you can have it for shipping. If over seas cost of shipping may be more than it is worth. I will never need it.