Super dexta filter

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bchaney
True Blue

Super dexta filter

Post by Bchaney »

Hey, I got my 63 super dexta running that I bought and has been sitting for years. The radiator was missing so we could only run if for a few minutes. I noticed that the hitch would not come up. I checked the oil and it was alittle low and didn't look good. If I'm correct it has a filter in the case. Should I try to change it before it put new oil in it. If so how hard is it to change? The pto did work if that matters. Thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Super dexta filter

Post by Brian »

The filter is the round canister to the left of the picture, you have to take the lift off and the pump out to clean it, it is a metal mesh. The other filter is the return filter which can be changed when you are doing a lift overhaul.

If you have no lift you may have to go in and check unload valve and control valve so then would be the time to check. You need to check if you have any pressure from the pump first.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Ok, how do I check the cable and pressure at the pump? Thanks for the help

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There is no cable to check. What you need to do is, if you have an ASC like the one in the picture, pull the knob out and then lift the lever to the top of the quadrant. You should hear the tractor work a little and the Pressure Relief Valve blow off. If nothing happens then the top will have to come off. With the lift off hold your thumb over the pressure port and turn her over on the starter, the pressure should lift your thumb off the port.

With the lift off, use a puller to draw the unload valve plug on the ram cylinder and then push the unload valve out from the rear. Do not try and drive the plug out with the valve from the rear.

Lightly polish the valve with metal polish. The "O" ring can only be replaced by a genuine Case/New Holland part do not use any other. You can leave it off all together in needed.

The control valve can also be lightly polished. Do not clean either valve with abrasive materials.

Also check the Position Control Pin for wear and replace if required.

The lift can be reset as per the instructions in the article on the Wiki. "fordsontractorpages" and password "dotty" will get you on there.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Ok thanks for the help. I think I would have giving up if it would have not been for this site.

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Ok this time I cranked it and the lift came up but I could push them down easly. Do I need to continue as talked about eariler or do something different? Also is there a hydraulic bleeder screw on this tractor? Thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There is no bleed screw on the pump as is does not need one. The pump is under the oil level and is self bleeding. Have you checked the oil level in the back axle? The level plug is between the clutch pedal pivot and the PTO lever.

Your problem sounds like low oil level now.
Brian

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Yes, when I unplugged it oil poored out. It looked like it may have had a little water in it. Should I replace the oil and try it,or go ahead and replace the filters and oil then try it?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You only have one filter to replace, the mesh intake filter is just a wash and put it back in.. I would go in and give it a good clean before filling with new oil. To clean the filter the pump will have to come out so you will have a big empty space which will be easier to clean.
Brian