Dexta Injector PumpTiming

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
charlie63
True Blue

Dexta Injector PumpTiming

Post by charlie63 »

Ive purchased a 1958 Dexta and am busy stripping it down and restoring it hopefully back to its original glory. When I get home from Angola my next step is to get the engine out and stripped. Ive already got the head off and miked the bores which are within tolerance and no scores. Im going to strip the injector pump off and send it to get tested and reconned. She is fitted with a P3 Perkins 3.144 engine with the Lucas CAV pump. Can any one tell me if the timing and marks are set exactly the same as the F3.144 engine. If not can anyone help with the way it should be set up as. Appreciate any advice.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Dexta Injector PumpTiming

Post by Brian »

Hi Charlie, welcome to the board. Has your new engine got the DPA rotary pump fitted? If so you do not have any worries about timing as this is fixed by a dowel in the pump drive. The only way to upset the timing is to take the drive gears off and replace them without lining the marks up.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

charlie63
True Blue

Re: Dexta Injector PumpTiming

Post by charlie63 »

Hi Brian, many thanks for the reply and merry christmas. My engine does have the DPA rotary pump fitted. I shouldnt need to remove the gears so i will make sure i take note of all the markings as the only seal i will need to replace is the crankshaft one and its on the front timing cover. When i purchased her she had a knock from the engine but it sounded more like a diesel knock rather than a big end as ti doesnt get any louder the harder you rev the engine but im stripping the engine right down just to check everything. Thought it may have been a valve spring but they seem to all be okay.The injectors are going to be tested as well as my wifes cousin has a machine for testing them and replace the tips if need be. Ive got the head off already and stripped and the piston bores are within spec and clean. She is #274 off the assembly line and all casting #"s correspond to Jan/Feb 1958 and have been verified by Patrick as i have now managed to register her with a matching number for the year. The engine fired up real easily when cold and didnt blow smoke or oil. The engine is the only thing that doesnt match so must have been fitted later as its the P3 Perkins. Im stripping everything back to the bare metal and coating it all with red oxide before the high build primer. Ive managed to get all the steering components done so far and have taken photos of every step to make up a binder. Im restricted as i work out in Angola on a 4/4 rotation but at least it gives me something to keep me busy when im home.
Regards
Charlie.