air filter oil level

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bchaney
True Blue

air filter oil level

Post by Bchaney »

Hi, can anyone tell me how much oil to put in the air filter bowl? My tractor did not have one on it and the new one i bought dosnt have any kind of ring marking on the bowl. Should the oil be touching the bottom of the filter or half the way up the filter or not touch it at all? There is a small bowl inside the bottom of the canister that comes off, is that where you put the oil? Thanks Brent

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: air filter oil level

Post by Brian »

Oil level should be just below the filter mesh. There are two sizes of air cleaner plus variations on after market designs so it is hard to be specific. From what you say about an "inner bowl" it might be that you have a later type 2/3000 air cleaner design. If so the oil level should be just in the inner bowl allowing a flow from the inner bowl to the outer one carrying the dirt away from the mesh and into the lower bowl.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oldcharlie
True Blue

Post by oldcharlie »

Be sure and not over fill the filter! When I rebuilt my engine the filter body was rusted out and had no oil for who knows how long. Anyway I way over filled it and the engine started sucking the oil out of the filter and ran away with me! I finally got my wits me and pulled the kill switch but by then it had burned the oil down to where it should be. It scared the hell out of me and was for a while was very dangerous.

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Thanks