Steering - Again

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
basewindow
True Blue

Steering - Again

Post by basewindow »

Think I read on here somewhere that you could add some washes or spacers (Not shims) to the inside of the steering box behind the rocker arms to reduce freeplay.
Has anyone had any success with this?

I have replaced just about everything else outside and still have about 90 degrees slack. It's definitely in the box.

Cheers.
62 Super Dexta.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Steering - Again

Post by Brian »

It is bad news i am afraid, there is no easy way to sort out a Dexta steering box other than strip it down and repair it.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

I figured as much, but I was hoping this washer/spacer idea might have some merit.

What exactly is involved in a rebuild?
62 Super Dexta.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

I think shims is the correct way to set up your steering box.

See workshop manual and this thread may be some help.
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=3&t=3388
:D
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Ive taken all the shims out and still have the play.

Thanks Ben, I've actually read that thread. I don't think I've got the skill to weld and machine the rocker arms. Maybe some second hand one if I can find them??

I tried the washer idea on the inside of the rocker arms just to test the theory. I only did the left side as i didnt have time to take the box out. It has certainly reduced the play, down to about 45 degrees,but the steering is now heavier. It's probably only a temp fix.

I've ordered some new seals for the rocker arms, so when they arrive I might add a washer/spacer to the right and see what happens...

Which begs the questions how do you fit the new seals? On to the rocker arms and push in or put into the housing first?

Totally off topic. Fitted new temp guage the other day and decided to do all the hoses whilst I was at it. Put it all back together and sealed up housings etc with sealant, then realised I never saw a thermostat. Any issues running without one, considering I'm over here in warm Aust?
62 Super Dexta.

fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fireman74 »

basewindow wrote:Ive taken all the shims out and still have the play.

Thanks Ben, I've actually read that thread. I don't think I've got the skill to weld and machine the rocker arms. Maybe some second hand one if I can find them??

I tried the washer idea on the inside of the rocker arms just to test the theory. I only did the left side as i didnt have time to take the box out. It has certainly reduced the play, down to about 45 degrees,but the steering is now heavier. It's probably only a temp fix.

I've ordered some new seals for the rocker arms, so when they arrive I might add a washer/spacer to the right and see what happens...

Which begs the questions how do you fit the new seals? On to the rocker arms and push in or put into the housing first?

Totally off topic. Fitted new temp guage the other day and decided to do all the hoses whilst I was at it. Put it all back together and sealed up housings etc with sealant, then realised I never saw a thermostat. Any issues running without one, considering I'm over here in warm Aust?
Hello basewindow
How did u get the old seals out??

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Seals are easy enough to get out with a flat head screw driver. However you need to completely remove the steering box and dismantle it first. Haven't put the new seals in yet, still in the process of welding and grinding the steering worm shafts and rockers.
Not 100 percent sure how they go back in the casing as one side looks a bit different to the other, has a small lip where the other doesn't. I'll let you know.
62 Super Dexta.

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

Oops did that twice.
62 Super Dexta.