brake springs

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
spike
True Blue

brake springs

Post by spike »

just looking at brakes on the dexta, 1st drum came off very easy with not to much :curse: .
i removed all the springs and did a good clean up all looks ok the springs that come in through the back plate need replacing.

but here is the problem i have 4 springs 2 brake anchors, 1 brake shoe spring and 1 brake shoe return spring one is fatter than the other, one goes by the adjuster and the other at the hinged side, now for the question what goes were i stupidly did not make a note and i can only take one wheel off at a time (shed to small) so cant look at the other side.

and any tips how to get the springs back on with out them flying round the shed and me smashing my knuckles

regards
spike

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: brake springs

Post by Brian »

The thinner one goes to the adjuster, the fatter one is the brake return spring and the other two are brake anchor springs. The method I use is to loop a piece of wire over the hook and pull it into position. In the past I have used red string but have found either wire or electrical wire works best.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

spike
True Blue

Re: brake springs

Post by spike »

Thank you, i have a new spring kit from aline coming today so will replace all springs at weekend

thank you