dexta brake springs part 2 edit 4-2-16

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
spike
True Blue

dexta brake springs part 2 edit 4-2-16

Post by spike »

Hi Brian
the brake shoe return springs have you got the correct length and thickness please.
i have got the kit from Aline and the spring is 21.5cm long my springs are both 14.5 long one is 20mm thick and the other is 15mm thick (aprox)

do i have the correct springs,or have they sent me the correct ones (i think aglin ones are to long for my dexta 1958)
regards
spike

after speaking with Aline they say the part number 5395 brake shoe return spring is correct and they sell loads of them ???
in the kit they sold me (now removed) they only had 3 springs per side one of then is the 5395 spring, i think it is to long at 21.5cm X 75mm x 10mm .

i have looked in to this with a number of suppliers of vintage tractor parts, most have no idea that there is 3 different springs per side (total of 4 per side) and they only have one spring size for the brake shoe spring and the brake shoe return spring (139mm x 70mm x 17mm aprox)
looks like i have to put the smaller size spring on both sides how that will affect the brakes i have no idea.

one more thing the brake camshaft has grooves in the flat part, can i weld and grind it to make up the grooves, if so can i do it when on tractor will the heat affect any thing or do i need to take it out 1st

thank you
spike

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: dexta brake springs part 2 edit 4-2-16

Post by Brian »

Spike,
I have no sizes recorded for the springs but I will see if I can get more data next week. There is no problem building up the cam but be aware that there is a nylon/plastic bush where the rod comes through the back plate. It is a loose fit as the rod is allowed a little float when the brakes are applied.

Think Aline may be trying to kill two birds with one stone and the springs you have are for the Fergy TE 20 models or possibly Ford 3000/MF135, all of which had similar brakes.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

spike
True Blue

Re: dexta brake springs part 2 edit 4-2-16

Post by spike »

Hi Brian
yes i think you are right.
if they said in there info that the larger spring will fit if you use the next holes along towards the hub it would help, (thats why no one has returned the spring as incorrect size).

but its not the point if you are trying to fit the correct spring size, the spring was that size for a reason and had 2 return springs for a reason,that reason is they need to have them to work correctly.

ranting again sorry

i will see how the brakes work 1st before i look at welding the crank, it only has a small groove in.

thank you for your help