PTO falling out

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
kiwimc
True Blue

PTO falling out

Post by kiwimc »

My PTO is slipping out of engagement more and more frequently. Double clutch model and adjustment seems OK according to the manual (i.e. approx. 1 1/4 " freeplay).
Is this an adjustment problem or worn out clutch??

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: PTO falling out

Post by Brian »

Possibly neither, first place to check is the bearing and housing where the PTO shaft comes out of the rear axle. Check if you can pull the shaft in and out. If you get an implement with a sticky sliding PTO drive shaft it can push the snap ring off the shaft bearing and allow the PTO shaft to move. Dotty used to do just as yours is doing, someone had even wired the lever to hold it engaged, I took the shaft out and found the housing broken away where the circlip fits. Replaced the housing and now the PTO is fine, it has done a lot of work on the topper and potato lifter since I repaired it.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

Thanks for the reply Brian. Unfortunately (fortunately!) no end movement in the shaft, so must be a different problem.
There only seems to be a very narrow position at which the lever stays engaged. If the PTO lever was the minute hand on a clock then engagement point is about 1 minute past the 'o'clock' position. This easily slips into a neutral between 57 & 59 minutes (at which point there is a quiet, but unmistakeable sound of teeth just touching something). Fully disengaged requires a deliberate movement to about 53 minutes.

Reading Section 5 of the manual suggests that when properly adjusted the clutch pedal in rear clevis hole should be able to touch the footplate. I will check mine again tonight, but think my pedal stops well before it touches the plate.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The clutch will not cause the PTO to jump out of gear, it will either be the shaft or the teeth worn on the engaging gear or the drive. They are very small and if they have had abuse (grinding into gear) they can wear.

If you take the PTO selector off you may be able to see the gear and make a judgement. The tractor will have to be split at the rear of the gearbox to replace them.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

kiwimc
True Blue

Post by kiwimc »

Been working on things over the summer.

Pulled off the plate behind PTO lever and clutch pedal. There are 3 (!) positions for the ball bearing. I anticipated 2 - 'engaged' and 'not engaged'.
Any ideas?
Only small amount of wear, and ball still clean and bright. Not convinced there is enough wear to explain PTO slipping out of engagement.
Problem may be teeth worn on the engaging gear as you suggest Brian.

I'd love to post some photos for you, but Samsung isn't playing ball.