Dexta Steering Box

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
charlie63
True Blue

Dexta Steering Box

Post by charlie63 »

Looking for some advice please. Ive stripped my Dexta steering box as it was full of water and had about 90 degrees of play on the wheel before it would start steering. Surprisingly the spindles etc are in really good condition. Looks like a good clean and a shim is all that will be required.Replacing the top bearing kit as this was gone as well as new drag link ends,wheel bearings and trunions. Ive marked everything up so as it goes back the same as it was even though the spindles and drop arms are interchangeable. The only thing i never marked up was the main worm shaft doh stupid me. Does it matter which way this goes in as it can go in two different ways?Just want to be sure before rebuilding.

shawnee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Dexta Steering Box

Post by shawnee »

I redid mine about 2 months ago welded the arms and rocker shafts, regrind, new seals, gaskets, top column shaft, 16 balls instead of 15 . I am going to see how that works out, heated the 90w weight to 250F poured it through vent hole I did not mark any thing but looked at this diagram before I assembled page 14.

http://www.fordson.se/DEXTA.pdf

Got my play to about 1/8 of the steering so I am happy with that. New tie rod ends, little bit of new paint etc. notice one rocker shaft is up and one down and the steering gear will only go one way

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Thanks for the info Shawnee. Looking at the picture in the manual its self explanatory. Ive downloaded the complete manual from Stefans link. Should have done that before. Sounds like ive landed lucky with the box sitting full of water as I cleaned everything up today and all looks pretty good.

fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fireman74 »

shawnee wrote:I redid mine about 2 months ago welded the arms and rocker shafts, regrind, new seals, gaskets, top column shaft, 16 balls instead of 15 . I am going to see how that works out, heated the 90w weight to 250F poured it through vent hole I did not mark any thing but looked at this diagram before I assembled page 14.

http://www.fordson.se/DEXTA.pdf

Got my play to about 1/8 of the steering so I am happy with that. New tie rod ends, little bit of new paint etc. notice one rocker shaft is up and one down and the steering gear will only go one way
How do I replace the seals in the steering box?