Steering Gear Box

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Steering Gear Box

Post by fireman74 »

I am having a problem with play in my steering gear box. I am have trouble taking the steering wheel off tractor. Do anybody have any idea on the easily way to remove the steering wheel. From what it look like, it look like that I will have to remove the fuel tank and hood to take steering gear box off. How hard is it to rebuild one of these steering gear box? Or do anyone know where I can get one already rebuilt in the USA?

shawnee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Steering Gear Box

Post by shawnee »

:clap:
Last edited by shawnee on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fireman74 »

shawnee wrote:I ordered one from broken tractor $730.00 delivered, ordered it ,not in stock got pissed and rebuilt my own, walt's has one listed for $550.00

http://www.waltstractors.com/acatalog/c ... box-1.html ,

I then ordered parts from agriline ,the shipping is high, but fast service for hard to find parts, usually two to three day service, FedEx has fast service to USA

core charge $150.00
http://www.brokentractor.com/ford_tract ... rboxes.asp

steering wheel possibly ,will have to heat with a torch and buy a new one and yes the fuel tank has to come off

http://www.agrilineproducts.com/Site/News?menuID=News

http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/Silve ... f.jpg.html
To Shawnee:
How can I heat the steering wheel with the tank still on?? I have tried puller and it still won't move. Do the steering wheel screw off or come straight off with a little force?? Also, I found a used one. Would u replace a worn one with a used one?

shawnee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by shawnee »

I would probably cut the steering wheel to the core with a grinder where you could heat it with the flame, in a upward position as not to heat the fuel tank or on top and keep the flame from fuel tank and or put wet rags on it, and try to tap it off or then pull it off, I would put a new steering wheel on it, they are cheap, the steering wheel pulls off after removing top nut

http://www.fordson.se/DEXTA.pdf

page 14 :beer:
Last edited by shawnee on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

A diesel tank full of fuel is not a fire hazard, strangely enough. Many times I have seen and worked on fire damaged combine harvesters and tractors which had full fuel tanks, to find the paint still on the tank whilst all around is a blackened hulk.

Not recommending treating it lightly but, if it is full, it will rarely go off "pop", unlike a petrol tank.

I have seen an empty tank, having been thoroughly cleaned out, go "bang" as the welder tried to light his torch with the nozzle pointed straight down the tank filler. That reduced the tank to a flat sheet and blew sheets of cladding off the roof. Nobody was hurt, just surprised and deaf.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

shawnee
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by shawnee »

If it was a gasoline tank I would empty it and then fill it with water before I put a torch any where near it.

fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fireman74 »

I found a used steering box and put it on. The seals on both sides are leaking. Should I take it back off and return it or try to replace the seals? I was trying to post the photos but don't know how for this site.

Johnmcm
True Blue

Post by Johnmcm »

If you mean the drop arm seals, they are easy to change if you have the drop arms off. Drill a small hole in the seal, insert a self tapping screw and pull the seal out. Smear of grease and replace with new seal. Drive in with suitable pipe. I used the inside tube from an axle stand. I had to get the drop arms off. I struggled with various cheap pullers. Eventually, thanks to YouTube I used a Pitman arm puller and impact gun. Straight off, well worth the tenner. Hope this helps. There is a sticky on posting pictures. Regards
John

Beauwh
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Beauwh »

I used a harmonic balance puller with large eye bolts that hung down through the spokes on the steering wheel and run a chain through them and around the center on the wheel and locked tight with a lock link. Pulled it off with ease. If my description is confusing i can try to set it up and take a picture for you, just let me know.