Super dexta fuel leak

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bchaney
True Blue

Super dexta fuel leak

Post by Bchaney »

Hi, I've been working on my super dexta and I left the fuel valve on over night and the next day I had fuel coming out of my exhaust and manifold. It looks like it coming from my intake where the primer and heater is. Is there any way of fixing this or do I need to turn the fuel off after I use it? Also I'm not sure if it got into my engine oil. If so will it hurt it. Thanks Brent

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Super dexta fuel leak

Post by Brian »

Leaving the fuel tap on will not allow fuel into the engine so I suspect you mean the little tap on the primer line up to the manifold glow plug. You can get diesel into the intake manifold from the primer but it usually happens when the engine is running. If you look at the level of fuel in the tank to the position of the plug in the manifold, normally it requires the reduced pressure in the manifold to get the fuel to flow.

The little tap should be turned off after use.

If you are getting diesel in the sump it could also be the seal on the injection pump or the lift pump diaphragm leaking and allowing fuel into the oil. This would stop if you turn the main fuel tap off but it would not stop diesel getting to the manifold.

Do not run the engine if you have diesel in the oil, it can bypass the rings and the engine will run on the diesel that gets by the rings leaving you with no control. Even if you pull the stop the engine will keep running and if you do not, quickly, plug the air intake, the engine will go off at high revs and pistons and rods will fly everywhere.

You need to change the oil ASAP.

If you have been doing a lot of ticking over without working her that could be the reason for black "slobber" coming out of the exhaust.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Brain,it is dripping at little tap at the glow plug. Are you saying to turn it off at the fuel valve at the tank? Doesn't that turn the fuel off to the engine also, or is there away to turn the fuel off to the glow plug and leave it on to the engine? Also the tractor was stripped, cleaned and painted so I have been turning the engine over a lot trying to get it to crank. Is that where all the diesel came from?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If it is the little tap near the manifold that is what you have to turn off, the main fuel tap will be OK left on. The Dexta range could draw fuel in through the heater when running and that is the reason for the little tap which should be off until you need to use the primer/heater.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

I don't mean to keep bothering you on this but my tractor was missing a lot of parts when I got it. Mine only has one cut off vavle and primer button under the tank. Should I have another to cut off the fuel to the glow plug? Thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No Problem, that is what we are here for. :thumbs:

The only tap in the primer system is the one at the manifold.
Brian