new performance dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Daniel1995
Not Quite Blue Yet

new performance dexta

Post by Daniel1995 »

Fordson dexta new performance standard dexta.
I have been offered a Dexta that i think is a NP standard dexta can any one confirm this with serial number 09D146?7 there is a number or letter in place of the question mark but i am not sure what it is.this number is the one on the bell housing near the starter motor.
Thanks Daniel.

Timeee
True Blue

Re: new performance dexta

Post by Timeee »

Dear Daniel

Unless Brian says otherwise, an 09D prefixed serial number on a Dexta bell housing indicates it is a New Performance Super Dexta made between Jan and Sep 1964. Casting codes on the major assemblies (Gearbox, rear axle etc) will confirm when the items were cast/made. You need to look for a code made up of number, letter, number (Year code, Month Code, Date) As an example, 4E23 would indicate an assembly cast on 23 May 1964. If all casting dates on major assemblies match up to roughly the same date sometime in 1964, then you should have a genuine NP Super Dexta.

Regards
Tim E

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Tim is exactly right in his identification, the only thing I would query is the number itself. Dexta serial numbers did a lot of strange things around this time for some reason but they all started with a 9. Serial numbers in January started at 09D907332 and finished in September at 09D928248 according to Fords records. So you need to check the number again.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Daniel1995
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Daniel1995 »

Thanks for the response.
I was a number short i thought there is i gap in the number but it is 09D9146?7.
still can't make out what the number is where iv put a question mark.
The tractor is very original blue and grey but with a standard dexta nose cone and mechanically governed injector pump it also has a double acting spool valve witch makes me think its a new performance standard dexta?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You are right it is a Standard Diesel, not a Standard Diesel though, :D

Many people think that the Dexta finished when the Super Dexta came into the range but it finished in 1964 and ran alongside the Super Dexta. As you say it had the Minimec pump but was de-rated to around 35 hp instead of the 45 hp of the Super Dexta.

Double acting spool is an extra and very desirable.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Daniel1995
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Daniel1995 »

Thanks Brian
But what do you mean by (You are right it is a Standard Diesel, not a Standard Diesel though)
And am i right in calling it a standard new performance or is it just a standard dexta that when the super dexta came out fordson just painted them grey and blue.And was there many standard Grey and Blue dexta's built? A chap i know thinks this tractor is abit unusual or is it just another standard dexta.
Thank Daniel

SkidRoe
True Blue
Location: Tetenhall Wood, UK (was Thorndale, Ontario, Canada)

Post by SkidRoe »

I think what Brian means is that it is a standard diesel Dexta, but does not have a diesel engine made by Standard, a British company that made engines during that period.

The petrol Dexta used a Standard engine, and some late Ferguson & early Massey Ferguson 35 tractors used a Standard diesel engine. All of these engines are 4 cylinders.

Hope this helps - SR
Fordsons: 22 F, 36 N, 50 E27N, 60 FPM Past: 60 Dexta, 61 SM
Fords: 78 6700 Turbo, 81 TW30, 89 4610 4x4 w/ Frey ldr, 96 7740 SLE 4x4 Past: 72 4000 w/ Allied 660 ldr, 75 5200, 76 9600
Others: MH 30 & 44, Oliver Super 55, Bobcat 440b & 773

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Sorry, I was being facetious. SR has it right.

To be fully correct there was no such animal as a standard Dexta, they were Dexta and Super Dexta. Dexta sales reduced after the introduction of the Super Dexta but they were still sold in reasonable numbers on loaders to small farms and horticultural units. The main differences were that the Dexta had single category linkage, the Super Dexta had dual category. The engine was more powerful although it is possible that Dextas were fitted with Super Dexta engines towards the end of the build run. Originally dif lock was an extra on a Dexta but became standard with the NP version.

When I joined Wrights in 1963 the yard was full of tractors from Dexta to Super Major in all different forms, some with PUH's, some with Dunlop, Firestone or Goodyear tyres, occasionally one would have a Rest-O-Ride seat or a spool valve. It was a bit strange back then as sometimes we would bring in two tractors and move parts from one to another to satisfy an order. Why sales did not sell the tractor with the spec. nearest to what the customer wanted i do not know. Perhaps it was stock control, getting rid of the earliest ones first but they were all within a few weeks of each other.

We had enough tractors in stock to see us through to Spring 1965 after Dagenham stopped building tractors in 1964.

There were still plenty of Dextas being sold even then so I would not say it is a rare tractor
Brian

Daniel1995
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Daniel1995 »

Thank you every body this had made things a lot clearer.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Check the engine number and engine casting code, see stickies above, for further info on the engine.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!