handbrake advice

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
botchit
Not Quite Blue Yet

handbrake advice

Post by botchit »

Hi All,

My dexta has a problem with handbrake but the repair kits and diagrams supplied by Agriline are different. The handbrake releases when the button is pressed and a pin retreats back into the body of the brake releasing a free block with teeth on it that engages with a toothed bracket on the tractor. All this is external to the brake housing. Is this the standard config? The movable pin that traps the toothed block is very lose and doesn't retreat well (the initial problem)...can anyone advise?

cheers Botchit

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: handbrake advice

Post by Bensdexta »

Does the drawing on page 12 of the Dexta Parts List help?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

botchit
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by botchit »

Hi Bensdexta,

I think its different. The locking mechanism is a moveable block outside of the handbrake handle.

Botchit

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

There are some photos of my handbrake here;
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... hp?p=11159
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

botchit
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by botchit »

No its quite different.....I will take some photos.

botchit
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by botchit »

Hi, best way of uploading photos?

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

I have just found this post. It sounds like I have the same handbrake mechanism as 'botchit'. I will try and get a couple of pictures up of what I have. Trouble is I have never seen another one like it and I am missing the pawl piece completely. I have the bit which bolts to the wing though.

Has anybody had this issue before, and why were so few made differently? Mine is a January 1959 model.
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

dextasteve
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dextasteve »

I have the early handbrake too. Does yours look like this? It's mounted on the right hand side of the tractor. The later one is on the left and side.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... =3&p=52644

As far as i am aware there are no spares available. I had to rebuild mine.

Nick
True Blue

Post by Nick »

No my handbrake is mounted the other side and at first looks identical to the more common type, however the mechanism inside and the pawl itself are completely different. I have actually had to make parts to fit and adapt the repair kit that agriline sells to make it work. I have pictures of how it works - very fiddly work though!

Basicly instead of the pawl actually rotating, this one moves up and down inside a quadrant on the outside of the handbrake, and there is a little pivot mechanism on the inside of the handbrake lever!
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!