Re-fitting fuel tank

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
ianpdexta
True Blue

Re-fitting fuel tank

Post by ianpdexta »

I have started to find a bit of time again (and more daylight) to continue reassembling my 1963 Super Dexta. I had much more trouble than expected refitting the tank, a) it was half full as I had been leak testing it and b) the circlip of the throttle spindle had slid down, its width in the wrong place made it foul on the 'steering tunnel' and extra weight didn't help at all. Anyway I managed to get it on but I have a question:

Should the tank bolt straight down onto the support flanges or should it sit on 3 hard rubber spacers?? :?:

I have two (not 3) roughly square rubber spacers about 1/4" thick, each with a penny washer presently embedded into one surface, I am embarrassed to say that I can't remember where these came from when I took it to bits, at the moment it seems to fit better without them. :?

Regards

Ian

Timeee
True Blue

Re: Re-fitting fuel tank

Post by Timeee »

Dear Ian

An interesting question, which raises an anomaly between the Repair Manual and the Parts List. My Parts Lists for Dexta and Super Dexta details 3 x Pad (Tank Fuel Support) Part No E1ADDN 9066 for tractors up to Apr/1962. From 4/62 it lists 1 x E1ADDN 9066 Pad (Fuel Tank Support) -Rear and 2x E175-JA-9 Pad (Fuel Tank Support) Assy. Sadly neither items illustrated.

For the Super Dexta it lists 1 x E175-JA-9 Pad (Fuel Tank Support)- Assy. As noted above, this item is not illustrated.

My Fordson Dexta Repair Manual page which includes details on how to remove and replace the fuel tank is dated Jan 1958 (unlike other parts of the manual which have dates up to Oct 62). It refers to the replacement of "three rubber mounting pads between the fuel tank and the brackets.......".

I no longer have my Super Dexta, but I had the tank on and off a few times and distinctly remember sticking the rubber pads with upholstery adhesive to hold the little blighters in place, whilst I fitted the tank on top. Perhaps Brian will have the definitive answer.

Tim E

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Mine certainly had a compressible rubber pad as I replaced them with a modern sticky back equivalent when rebuilding.

Oh and the same applies to the radiator to but, don't buy the ones from Agrline or similar, far batter just purchasing some rubber mat of a decent thickness and cutting and drilling it.
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

basewindow
True Blue

Post by basewindow »

I've just had my tank off on my 62 super. Has three rubber spacers and washers. Not sure if they are original.
62 Super Dexta.

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

Thanks for these answers, I have some 1/4" thick rubber so I will make some pads and see if can fit them in. I have already used this stuff for the radiator mounting. I will try to post some pictures of all this in my rebuild thread.

Regards

Ian