Greasable front wheel caps?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
npaisnel
True Blue

Greasable front wheel caps?

Post by npaisnel »

Anyone know if the 1959 Dextas had front wheel centre grease points in the centre of the hub?

Like these?

I bought a couple, but not sure if I should fit them or not...Wel I did try but the thread seems fractionally different. These new 'Old 20's " ones appear fractionally greater diameter, though they do thread in, about 2 turns then they 'bind'

http://old20tractorparts.com/t20-front- ... 91305.html

If any one finds any of my pictures of interest, please do right click and Save Them to your computer as soon as possible.
I host my pictures on my own server and since this site does not save images, they may not always be available,

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Greasable front wheel caps?

Post by Brian »

Those caps are for the later 3000 but should fit the Dexta hubs. Probably made in China via Ireland. Might be worth telling Old Twenty of your problem.

When they originally came out the 3000 had no means to grease the hubs, according to Ford the caps should be filled with grease every 300 hours then the hubs removed, cleaned and re-packed every 600 hours. Here in Norfolk the abrasive soil was cutting bearings and hubs out at 100 hours, some even less and Ford were having to replace many hubs under warranty as they wore out where the seal fitted. We drilled and fitted grease nipples so the driver could grease daily and flush out the old grease. This cured the problem and Ford took up the idea and fitted greasers in the end caps.

Dexta's should have greasers in the hub itself not in the cap but later 2000/3000 hubs could have been fitted as replacements some time in its life.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Thanks

as far as we can remember, we never have changed the hubs, my father bought it new and we have always owned it.

A brief glance just now, and I cant see any grease points on the hubs either, or even holes where they may have once been.

I'll keep a look out for others at my mates and see if I can see grease points on any of theirs.

Thanks
If any one finds any of my pictures of interest, please do right click and Save Them to your computer as soon as possible.
I host my pictures on my own server and since this site does not save images, they may not always be available,

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

I bought a pair of similar caps from agriline and them fitted well to my -60 Dexta. These older Dextas haven't got any grease point in front bearings. Later Dextas has grease nipples in front bearing housings.
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

I have recently fitted some to mine (1959), the main issue I had was where the hub had been clouted with a 4ld persuader and distorted the thread but, a bit of work and they fitted all be it tight.
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

After some checking it seems like the grease-able hubs came in 1959, I went out to take a picture of mine but Photobucket seems to be down at the moment.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

My Dexta is July 1959m and no grease nipples on the from to the hub..though today I did notice a hole at the back of th stub axle...so at the exact opposite place where the cap nipple is, but on the back. Did not have time to clean that area or have dig to see if it was threaded.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

1960 hub.

This is where they are on most Dextas I have known. I did blow up the picture of the prototype Dexta I have and it looks like it had a greaser on the hub nearer the cap where it could be vulnerable.
Brian

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Ah yes,, sure I have seen them now yo mention it. but many be on one of the others we used to have.

Only got the one left, used to ahve three when we were farmin g, plus Ford 4000, Petrol Fergie, x 2 135's, Ford 5610 Renault, Case 1404, IH 633...now jsut got a Dexta, 135 and the 633