I am getting really grumpy

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

I am getting really grumpy

Post by Brian »

At the East of England Show there was a very well restored Dexta all prettied up in two pack paint. Leaning against the cowl was a beautifully done display board showing all stages of the restoration showing how carefully it had been done and the time and effort that had gone into it.

Every carefully typed heading and every place it was mentioned Dexta was spelt "DEXTER" yet the board had beside it the Dexta badge down the centre of the grill and a Dexta badge on either side of the bonnet with the correct spelling.

I can understand spelling errors on the board, I make them all the time, but surely not on a display board after taking so much time on the subject? :curse: :curse: :stress: :stress: :stress:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: I am getting really grumpy

Post by Bensdexta »

Dyslexia?
Some folk are not very observant!
Last edited by Bensdexta on Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Brian, we were fortunate enough to have gone to school during the days when they were educational establishments and the education of the inmates with real and usable knowledge and skills was their purpose for existing :curse:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

ianpdexta
True Blue

Post by ianpdexta »

I know what you mean Brian, I can't stand the lower case 'i' ( did this or that) it appears in job applications and all over the place. I think part of sign writing or poster writing is to stand back and look at it, close up to the screen or paper can mean looking but not seeing. :roll:

Regards

Ian

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi,

maybe the one who restored the tractor was not the same person who made the display. A little mistake in communication (when the name of the tractor only was spoken but not written) and you get what you have seen.

Peter
1963 Super Major

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Obvious now I've thought about it - Fords fault for using the concept of a smallish, universal use, durable beast but not spelling the tractor the same as the cow :beer:

I've seen it printed in preservation mags over the years as both Dexter and Dextra - now they really should get it right!

Still at least they didn't follow the left hand path and called the Fordson Sinister (or praps Sinista as in Dexta :D )

BTW Dexter and Sinister are Latin for left & right
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Dexter and Sinister are Latin for right & left
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

:oops: a perfect illustration of non attention to detail - thanks Ben :oops:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

npaisnel
True Blue

Post by npaisnel »

Apparently the name 'Dexter" originated from the French / Jersey French name Poindestre, which became americanised to Poindexter and the shortened to 'Dexter'

I too get annoyed by lazy spelling, so much of it these days, in my posts at least is due to fat fingers, poor typing skills, auto spell correction, and just not seeing the spellin mistakes until after the post has gone up, even after use of the "Preview" button
If any one finds any of my pictures of interest, please do right click and Save Them to your computer as soon as possible.
I host my pictures on my own server and since this site does not save images, they may not always be available,