Super dexta oil ring

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bchaney
True Blue

Super dexta oil ring

Post by Bchaney »

Hey, I've started gapping my piston rings on my super dexta. I notice that the new top oil ring I got from Agriline is different from the one that is on it. The old one has a groove with a jagged piece of metal going from the top to the bottom and around the groove on the ring. The new one has a groove with a spring running around it. Does this matter? Thanks Brent

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Super dexta oil ring

Post by Brian »

Just different ring manufactures.

The original rings were Cord and made up of thin concave strips that had to be fitted correctly. We all used to mutter "cup up, cup down" in our sleep. If you got it wrong she would pump the oil up the bore and burn oil very quickly.

The ring you describe sounds like a Hepolite or similar.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Which are the best rings?
Seeing as our engines seem to be prone to blowing oil, are some rings better than others at reducing blow-bye?
TIA :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Ok thanks

Bchaney
True Blue

Post by Bchaney »

Brain, the repair manual says that the ring gap on the top oil ring that was in there needs to be .018-.037. The replacement is similar to the bottom oil ring which is .009 -.013. Should I gap the new one like the bottom ?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If it is a steel railed ring you will not improve the gap, if it is a cast ring take it to .018"

Ben,
Even the original Cord rings which we used to fit into worn engines to stop oil burning back in the day, will not stop oil "slobber" which happens on all diesels that are not being worked. My Nuffy that has been on the potato harvester at the later end of the year, is a poor starter and blows oil until she has been on the plough, now she starts like a Major and pulls like a train. I expect to gain another 5 hp after she has been on the rotovator later today. :D :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian