Dexta Input Shaft

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
charlie63
True Blue

Dexta Input Shaft

Post by charlie63 »

Looking for some information with regards to my 58 Dexta gearbox input shaft. Thought since i had the engine out it would be a good idea to replace the input shaft oil seal on the gearbox. It has the single clutch fitted. I noticed today before stripping off the seal housing that the input shaft has quite a bit of play on it i.e. up and down movement but not any lateral movement. I suppose once the engine is refitted that the shaft sits in the spigot bearing in the flywheel so is this normal?? Is this due to the length of the shaft and the bearing being at one end of it?? Also once i had removed the seal housing i managed to get a good look of the bearing and it looks okay. Any advice would be appreciated as now would be the time to strip down if need be.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Dexta Input Shaft

Post by Brian »

You could draw the input shaft and check the bearing but I would suspect you have answered your own question with the fact that, without the toe bearing, there is quite a lot of movement in the shaft.

It is well worth drawing the shaft and checking the bearing now you are that far in though.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

charlie63
True Blue

Re: Dexta Input Shaft

Post by charlie63 »

Thanks for the info Brian. Just wanted to make sure the movement is normal but will pull the bearing as well just to make sure its okay since i am in that far.