rear axle oil seal inner or outer

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
spike
True Blue

rear axle oil seal inner or outer

Post by spike »

Hi
how can i tell if the inner seal has gone on the rear axle
how can i tell if the outer seal has gone on the rear axle.

i have oil leaking in one side brake drum and down tyre, so is it inner or outer seal.

i did have the leak last year when i got the tractor but it stopped leaking once i used it every week (yes there was oil in the axle) but it started to leak after i had it jacked up on one side for a few weeks when i was fixing the brakes.

thanks
spike
dose no one know how i can tell what seal has gone ?????
i think its the outer but how can you tell if the inner one has gone

sky blue
True Blue

Re: rear axle oil seal inner or outer

Post by sky blue »

i think it will be a case of replacing the easy to do one and if this doesnt cure it
then its into the harder one , there isnt away of telling but its a false economy not to do
both if possible

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

thank you,
to do the inner do i have to remove the bearings as there is no play when i have it jacked up and crow bar under wheel and try to wobble it

thank you
spike

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

you will have to remove the back wheel, behind the wheel there is about 7 or so nuts to remove
ithink they are 11/16 with these removed the half shaft can be pulled stright out.you will need to remove the
brake hub brake shoes ect first of course, then the nuts and withdraw the half shaft, the seal can be
seen ,a screwdriver or something can be used to prise it out ann then carefuly put the new seal in and then
put every thing back in reverse order, you will find a lot about this in early posts if you do a search.