Oil pressure gauge

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bchaney
True Blue

Oil pressure gauge

Post by Bchaney »

Ok so I rebuild my first engine and everything is working good so far. I put a temporary oil pressure gauge on it to see what the pressure is and my friends said he would leave the gauge on it. My oil light works and I like the original look. My question is, is the light enough or would the gauge to better? If so where is a good spot to mount it. Thanks

russelm
True Blue

Re: Oil pressure gauge

Post by russelm »

The light should be enough given its a good/not good indicator
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

alang
True Blue

Post by alang »

I remember an earlier discussion at a time when I also wanted to fit a gauge - you might find it interesting. http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... ure#p45514.
I fitted a gauge after the engine was re-built, originally as a temporary measure, but have left it as it does no harm and is reassuring. Starts off at a steady 60psi dropping to 25psi, at idle, when good and hot after a few hours work.
I was advised to make sure the gauge was oil damped and not to fit the gauge directly onto the engine outlet/T-piece as it may fracture with vibration. Mine is connected from a T-piece on the block (oil light switch retained) via a flexible pipe to the gauge mounted on the battery base. Easy to see from the seat when working.
My Dexta would annoy traditionalists as it has many non-standard bits, three of which you can see in the photo. Oil gauge. After market primer. Isolation switch.

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

i also fitted a oil /p/g its been awhile since i rebuilt my engine it starts off at around 50 and will
stay at this all day long. it will drop to around 20 psi at idle as all these dexta engines do but
give it a rev and its back up at 50. this is normal for the dexta,