Fuel system problem

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fuel system problem

Post by fireman74 »

I have super dexta. The other day I went to crank it while it was running it just shut off. Now it will not crank for nothing, but it will turn over slowly :curse: I have put a new fuel filter on it. Before this happen it was cranking very slowly. Sometime I have to put starting fluid in it to get it going. Have this happen to anybody else if so or not any suggestion on where I can start to fix problem?? :scratchhead:

PghBill
True Blue

Re: Fuel system problem

Post by PghBill »

Fireman,
First suggestion, Never use starting fluid! :nono: I learned the hard way when I blew a hole in a piston several years ago.
You say it turns over very slowly. Do you have a good proper size battery? Are your battery connections clean and tight? Is your connection to ground (earth) clean and tight? Is your battery charging.If so, are your starter motor's electrical connections clean and tight? If your battery and all connections are clean and tight, I'd suspect your starter might be in need of some service.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Everything that Bill says you need to check.

Just checking language, by cranking do you mean the starter is turning the engine slowly? I go on other US boards and some people talk of engines not cranking when they mean engine not running.

You also have a filter in the fuel tap, you have to loosen off the tank mountings to get the tap out, the easy way to see if you have a blockage there is to take the feed pipe out of the lift pump and check the flow of diesel from the tank. This filter is a plastic one and will just require washing.

Never use ether on these engines, even using a small amount will break rings and pistons. It is best to get the manifold heater and fuel supply to it sorted, if you have a Minimec pump you will also have a cold start button that will assist starting.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fireman74 »

PghBill wrote:Fireman,
First suggestion, Never use starting fluid! :nono: I learned the hard way when I blew a hole in a piston several years ago.
You say it turns over very slowly. Do you have a good proper size battery? Are your battery connections clean and tight? Is your connection to ground (earth) clean and tight? Is your battery charging.If so, are your starter motor's electrical connections clean and tight? If your battery and all connections are clean and tight, I'd suspect your starter might be in need of some service.
Yes I have good connection and good battery. The battery cranked up the tractor and it was just idling fine for about 3-4 minutes. Then it just shut off and will not crank. Like I stated early, I put new filter on it and loosen lines for air to come out of the fuel lines. Diesel is not making it to the lines of the injectors. But when I manual pump the fuel pump to fuel filter diesel is making it to there.Also try it again yesterday and is still having same problem. What else can I check?? :scratchhead:

fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fireman74 »

Brian wrote:Everything that Bill says you need to check.

Just checking language, by cranking do you mean the starter is turning the engine slowly? I go on other US boards and some people talk of engines not cranking when they mean engine not running.

You also have a filter in the fuel tap, you have to loosen off the tank mountings to get the tap out, the easy way to see if you have a blockage there is to take the feed pipe out of the lift pump and check the flow of diesel from the tank. This filter is a plastic one and will just require washing.

Never use ether on these engines, even using a small amount will break rings and pistons. It is best to get the manifold heater and fuel supply to it sorted, if you have a Minimec pump you will also have a cold start button that will assist starting.
Yes I have good connection and good battery. The battery cranked up the tractor and it was just idling fine for about 3-4 minutes. Then it just shut off and will not crank. Like I stated early, I put new filter on it and loosen lines for air to come out of the fuel lines. Diesel is not making it to the lines of the injectors. But when I manual pump the fuel pump to fuel filter diesel is making it to there.Also try it again yesterday and is still having same problem. What else can I check?? :scratchhead:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You have bleed screws on the top of the filter and on the injection pump that have to be bled, loosening the fuel lines will not allow you to bleed the system. Bet your problem is still air in the system.

I do not have a picture of the Dexta with a Minimec on my system but this one from a Major should give you a clue to the bleed points.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

fireman74
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by fireman74 »

Brian wrote:You have bleed screws on the top of the filter and on the injection pump that have to be bled, loosening the fuel lines will not allow you to bleed the system. Bet your problem is still air in the system.

I do not have a picture of the Dexta with a Minimec on my system but this one from a Major should give you a clue to the bleed points.
How Do I post picture of fuel pump that I have on my tractor?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Two ways, you can take a picture and put it on a hosting site like Photobucket. Then post the link from there or e-mail it to me at bhe at btconnect.com and I will get it onto the site.
Brian

anthonygos
True Blue

Post by anthonygos »

Also check the lift pump best way to do that is to take it off, make sure the the cam is not damage, I have seen that in the past.
Don't just leave it in the shed, Fordson's are made to work, so take it out and work it....!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

We have sorted the problem. She started up straight away when fireman74 bled the pump.
Brian

Beauwh
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Beauwh »

fireman74 wrote:
Brian wrote:You have bleed screws on the top of the filter and on the injection pump that have to be bled, loosening the fuel lines will not allow you to bleed the system. Bet your problem is still air in the system.

How Do I post picture of fuel pump that I have on my tractor?
What are the two screws that are marked with the black lines?

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

Beauwh wrote: What are the two screws that are marked with the black lines?
The filler and level plugs to put oil in the pump.. Paragraph 120 here, 'Lubrication' :)
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.