PTO retaining ring

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
buckwheat
Not Quite Blue Yet

PTO retaining ring

Post by buckwheat »

Super dexta

The retaining (snap) ring that holds my PTO bearing in place has broken. This allowed the PTO shaft to move in/out an inch, and that disengaged the PTO lever. The bearing also shifted around some and was no longer tight in the bore. The bearing was still snug in the bore, but not tight.

Where can I get a new retaining ring? Its a 2 3/4" bore, but its 0.065" thick. I bought a ring locally but its the standard 0.093 thick. McMaster Carr also shows 0.093" thick. I've already glued the bearing back in place using bearing retainer loctite so I don't think I can easily widen the ring groove on my lathe anymore.

PghBill
True Blue

Re: PTO retaining ring

Post by PghBill »

Buckwheat,
New Holland has the part listed. I'm pretty sure what you need is part # 957E754. Go online to New Holland Parts, Type Super Dexta in the search box.
You'll find the part in the transmission section under Live PTO. Diagram of the PTO assembly is there.
Good luck,
Bill

PghBill
True Blue

Post by PghBill »

I'm Sorry. Went to New Holland site and after further reserch found that part is not available :oops:

buckwheat
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by buckwheat »

I had a deeper look at some supplier websites and wasn't able to find anything thin enough. A spiral retaining ring might work but it would be almost half the thickness (too thin!). A metric retaining ring of similar size (70mm) is even thicker than 0.093.

I'm a little hesitant to widen the groove and use the thicker ring. On one hand it would be nice to modify to tractor to take standard, easy to obtain parts. On the other hand; if a PTO shaft ever binds I would rather break the ring than break the casting. Breaking the ring would send less metal through the rear and than breaking the casting.

I tried grinding down the ring but its a hard spring steel and that didn't get me anywhere without overheating the ring. I'm not trained on the surface grinder at work.

Will have another few sleeps over it and report back when I find a solution.

buckwheat
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by buckwheat »

I took my time and ground the ring down with an angle grinder. Ground it in little bursts and took frequent measurements. Next step is to try to flush some varnish out of the rear end.