front axle

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
niallsdexta
True Blue

front axle

Post by niallsdexta »

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some help and advice please. On my 62 Super Dexta the front wheels are playing a dancing game as I drive down the road!

The tractor is for Sunday driving on road runs etc. The steering box play is quite low with about 1/8th of a turn free play, but the wheel wobble is getting worse, I had to pull off a road run on Sunday because of it. When I got home I got my dad to turn the steering wheel while I examined the fornt end.

What I noticed was the steering arm moves about 1/4 inch before the spindle does, did you ever see this before or know why this could be?
I know there is a key and key way so something must have damaged the spindles is all I can think off.

Any suggestions please forward them on please.
I don’t know what I am doing!

alang
True Blue

Re: front axle

Post by alang »

I shall be interested to hear what remedies are suggested because I also wobble at higher speed on tarmac.
Sometimes, on a road run, I drive along with my feet on the end of the drop arms to steady her. I had thought about welding a couple of foot rests on the arms. 8).
It's the source of humorous comments especially after we've had a stop at a pub.

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

last night I removed the drag link on the near side and all seems well there, I also removed the large bolt holding the radius arms to the axle and they are a snug fit, I knew they were OK as they are new (last couple of years).
So I went on the spindle tops, I removed the steering arm and the bolt is bent and it looks like someone cut it part way through with a hacksaw? cannot think why??

I removed the steering arm and the key, NOW THE KEY IS QUITE LOOSE IN THE SPINDLE,IS THIS CORRECT?
Also noted that the top bush in the axle extension is worn so I need to replace.
There is no spacers around the axle pin when I look in.

I will replace all these items and see if that works.

However the key loose in the spindle, how do I fix that?

Thanks Niall.

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

the wheel wobble is a problem on all old tractors , for that reason, they are all old :) but
there is no one thing to fix to cure it, worn spindles , pivot pin ,and washers, the bolts ,on the
axel, ect i made copper cups to fit in the foot rests this cured my wheel wobble,dont know
if this was just luck but it worked for me .

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

I had this on my Dexta! Cured/minimised it by replacing the radius arm bolts on the Axle.
They are the same size as the wing mounting bolts to the back axle.
Couldn't see any wobble/slack when turning the steering wheel but it definitely improved it so it is now comfortable/safe to drive on the road. BTW I did this over ten years ago and it's still good :)
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

niallsdexta
True Blue

Post by niallsdexta »

Hi All,

Just a quick update, I have replaced everything I thought was to be replaced, I machined up a new spacer for in front of the axle, new bolts in the radius arms, new bolts in the steering arms, ne spindle bushings, bearings and seals, new drag link ends front and back, wheel bearings tightened almost half a turn on one side.

Now no more wheel wobble! :clap:

but the spindles move form side to side????? :scratchhead:
I never knew you may need to replace them, ah well it is a lot better than it was it is now safe to drive again and another item added to the long list of stuff to buy. :curse:

Thnaks for the help.