cleaning gunk from rear axle

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
spike
True Blue

cleaning gunk from rear axle

Post by spike »

Hi
have you any tips on best way to clean the creamy gunk from rear axle before i put some new oil in, same for gear box.

many thanks in advance

spike

ianpdexta
True Blue

Re: cleaning gunk from rear axle

Post by ianpdexta »

I cleaned the 'Salad cream' from the gear box and back end of my grey tractor by using a suds pump from a lathe stood in a washing up bowl with some paraffin, the bowl was positioned under the drain hole, I then had a length of garden hose with a nozzle attached to the pump, this way I was able hose out the interior with the paraffin. I probably used a paint brush to help to shift the stiffer deposits.

Obviously the recycling paraffin became quite dirty, so I changed it for some clean to give a the surface a final rinse and then mopped out what was left with a cloth. This left a nice clean red painted interior.

Regards

Ian

spike
True Blue

Post by spike »

thank you ian
i did find a post from Brian using kerosene(not diesel bad for O rings) and oil mix (maybe paraffin will work as well) then driving round for around 3/4 of an hour then drain out and replace with new oil .(i am not taking the axle apart)

if i can find the post i will re post it

regards
spike

spike
True Blue

Re: cleaning gunk from rear axle with Brian`s post

Post by spike »

Might be a good idea to use the Ford method of rear axle cleaning before you fill up with clean oil. Mix 1 gal. of oil with 2 gal. Kerosene, (Definitely not Diesel) and run around in the yard for 1/2 to 1 hour with no load. Then drain and fill with clean oil. This works for the gear box too.

anthonygos
True Blue

Post by anthonygos »

spike wrote:thank you ian
i did find a post from Brian using kerosene(not diesel bad for O rings) and oil mix (maybe paraffin will work as well) then driving round for around 3/4 of an hour then drain out and replace with new oil .(i am not taking the axle apart)

if i can find the post i will re post it

regards
spike
Kerosene is usually called paraffin in the United Kingdom...! its what I have used for years and works well.
Don't just leave it in the shed, Fordson's are made to work, so take it out and work it....!